Nite Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

larry_foo

Reaction score
Greetings divers!
I'm still a relatively new diver. only did 4 nite dives. I wonder if anyone out there know the purpose of a strobe (I think it is a blinking light device) ,it's effectiveness etc.
I always got this fear that both my torch and backup would conincidently burn out together!
by the way, I find nite diving is awesome! seeing marine life behaving very differently compare to daytime :)
cheers!

Larry Foo

The purpose of the strobe is a tank marker light, so that you can be seen by others underwater. Although it is not recommended in saltwater.

Did they not teach you this in your class.

ID

Ok Don, now I'm curious...why is it not recommended in saltwater? I usually use the "constant on" tank markers, but have used a flashing one on occasion. I've just never heard that they weren't good in salt water.

Yeah ID,
What's up with that? I never heard that one either - we'll use strobes for line markers but there should not be a reason not to use them for tank lights in salt water...

Ya better fess up on this one...
Terkel

Hey everyone. We use markers for several reason here on the South-west coast of the U.S. The water here can be quite turbid at times, when that happens and your buddy is 5ft away from you and there is only 5ft of visiblity & buddies light is facing away from you it can be difficult to see. With a strobe 'popping' in the water it's easier to see the direction it's coming from.

As for colored light sticks, they are usually used to identify your buddy, whether it be in the water or on the surface. When crowded dive spots are explored, this comes into use very often, especially on nights like the Lobster season opener. Let's face it people get seperated, wind up on the surface looking for their buddy, and this helps.

Of course, when I dive most people use me as a point of reference... I've even been called the 'Sun' as I have lights that are brighter than most peoples high beams on their cars! Hehe

Go big or go home!

Ah-Ha! Now I know why on satellite pictures there is a light off the Southern CA coast. It's Mario on a night dive!!!
RonC.

And it made sense to me, so I never tested the theory out.
It seems the flashing strobe acts as a lure to predator fish. That was a good enough explanation for me. Didn't want to tempt fate. Same reason as not wearing flashy jewelry.

ID

I use a Tank marker light attached to my 1st stage. It gived my position to my students doesn't interfear with my vision and keeps divers from running into me when I turn my main light off.

Ken

Larry

I have found that a strobe mounted high on a BCD shoulder strap to be an excellent marker at night in swell. The blinking nature of the light is instantly recognisable from the pick-up boat. Also here in the murky UK waters where the viz is normally measured in single figures (usually inches)they can be a real boon. As for attracting predatory fish I wouldn't know unless cod count?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom