Nitrogen Narcosis and Women.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There appears to be ample info both at DAN and this forum to dispell concerns about increased risk of DCS in women divers.

I have not been able to find any info regarding women and nitrgen narcosis. I was told by my instructor (a male, and some years ago I might add) that women can be more susseptable to (feel effects earlier) nitrogen narcosis during their menstrual cycle.

Is there any data that supports or dispells this?

I am a diving instructor, and this is not a troll, but an honest inquirie for peronal and proffessional knowledge. This is not intended to be a sexist remark, nor to belittle or demean women in any way.

MikeD
:blfish:

The best solution to the problem of nitrogen narcosis and women is to not pick up women below 100 feet.:D

Wow, I thought I had heard them all, but this is a new one. I have never heard of this before, and cant think of any reason why it might be the case. My guess is this is an "urban legend" from the neanderthal days of diving.:rolleyes:

I personally have never had any problems, but here are a few articles that might be useful from Women in Scuba

SexySadie

I am an occassional blood donor. Last year I made the mistake of donating 2 weeks prior to a 130' dive. (It can take 6-8 weeks for your blood composition to return to normal after a donation.)

I got quite narc'd at depth. I actually quite enjoyed it, but I can certainly see how it could be dangerous to be "high" while diving.

At any rate, I was told by several people (including one at the blood bank and my instructor) that my donation probably had a lot to do with my narcosis. Since it hasn't happened since, I tend to believe this.

I would suppose from this experience that a woman who experiences heavy blood loss could have a similar problem.

Doctors - any comments?

Nitroxbabe-
Heavy menstrual flow should not affect blood volume in the circulatory system as would blood donation.

Maybe it wouldn't affect blood volume, but even so - I still wonder if heavy menstrual flow might make some difference....

Perhaps it's not the volume but the hemoglobin? I do know that women tend to have lower hemoglobin counts than men (many women are not eligible to donate blood because of it), and it's my understanding that this is due to menstruation...

Doctors?

I dont get where menstrual flow would have any bearing, as it is simply a sloughing of cells that line the uterine walls. Average menstrual flow is really very little volume wise - I would guesstimate no more than a cup. As to low hemoglobin- I dont know anything about that- but perhaps there is a correlation with that.

I would have thought lower haemoglobin levels in women, would be from not eating enough red meat. :rolleyes:

Babe,

I would be surprised if studies showed any relationship between blood donation and narcosis. There is a relationship between bood donation and DCS because of blood volume. I asked DAN about donations and dives (this was approx 15 years ago, so details of their recommendations may have changed). At the time, they recommended waiting 48 hours after donating before diving. Blood volume returns to normal quickly.

In the mid 70's my blood bank made a mistake and called me in for a donation two weeks after my previous donation. I assumed an emergency since an eight week interval was the minimum, so I went in. They discovered their error and did not take my donation, but they checked my crit before they turned me away in time. It was in the mid 40's. Two weeks allows your body to replace volume and much of the hemoglobin.

Prior to checking with DAN about donations, I frequently made deep dives the day after (about 15 hours) a donation. I never experienced any ill effects. The fact you were seriously narced at 130 ft does not surprise me. I just don't believe your donation had anything to do with it. Everyone is seriously narced at 130 ft.

As for the opinions you received, most instructors know very little about blood donations or about narcosis. Most phlebotomists know very little (usually nothing) about diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom