Nitrox analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A thing to keep in mind about buying your own analyzer is that you're going to need to replace the sensor every couple of years, about $100, whether you use it a lot or not at all. For someone who doesn't dive a lot it might not be worth it.

Not having one leads to poor decision making when you forget to analyze at the shop, or the boats analyzer "broke that morning."
A group of us had a whole-boat charter in the BVI for a week, and had to dive air all week because the boat's analyzer was broken. Several of us had analyzers -- but did not bring them on the trip. We won't make that mistake again!

I love my Divesoft DNA. Having to have my phone to use it was not an issue for me but did play a part in my decision to buy it or the Nuvair stick.
In the end I am happy with my decision. It works well.

but I ask myself do most divers need an analyzer at all.

I feel like you don't need it until you need it, but man when you do it's sooooo nice to have one.

I use an Analox O2 Pro something something because someone was selling it cheap on here and that's what I got. I use a miniox on my stick and that works fine too. It has to be calibrated on every power up but is fine with 21%.

The DNA looks pretty cool.

Does anyone know if the manf. are starting to use SS sensors in any new ones coming out?

My first analyzer was the El Cheapo from Oxycheq. I still have it, it still works. Since then I've had (or still have) a Nuvair Quickstick (older version), a MaxTec MaxO2, a Maxtec HandiO2, an OxyCheq Expedition, a DiveNav Cootwo, and a TDL TekCheck He-O2 Analyzer. And many many sensors.

The HandiO2 was nice for travel, but had an unreplaceable sensor. The Quickstick and the Expedition I still have; both are indestructible. The MaxO2 is what I tend to take on travel. When possible, I use a short hose with a LPI fitting and an integral flow reducer; this can't be done with the Quickstick.

An LPI adapter for the analyzer is certainly nice if tanks are being provided. Put your reg on first thing to quickly get both pressure and analyze. I've had more under-pressure tanks than a bad nitrox fraction (fortunately zero of those).

I feel like you don't need it until you need it, but man when you do it's sooooo nice to have one.

EXACTLY 💯!

I have not paid too much attention to the market as I have used an Analox O2EII for over 20 years. Analox products have always had a slight higher price tag but I felt the premium was worth the cost. I see they are no longer making it and now have only the Analox O2 Portable Analyzer which is $600. Yikes!!! The replacement sensor is half the cost. Thirdparty replacements are much less.

That is really too bad as Analox really stepped up with their CO detector when there was rash of accidents. I bought one while at DEMA when they came out. They did not produce that unit for long as they decided to focus on the source, i.e. the fill station with their CO Clear system.

At this point I would have to research the market. I would still recommend Analox but just not sure the premium is worth it.

That said, having your own unit is worth while. We always take it on trips. When everyone is waiting to use the "house" analyzer we have our cylinders done and are ready to dive.

Back
Top Bottom