Nitrox and air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As many folks have said yes they can be. I like Crowley's comments. It doesn't hurt to use your Nitrox on the first dive of the day if it's deeper.

In an open water diving class they teach you to do you deepest dive of the day first and to get shallower with each dive. Well in terms of Nitrogen loading you need to remeber Henry's Law which states:

At a constant temperature, the amount of a given gas dissolved in a given type and volume of liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas in equilibrium with that liquid.

So you want make sure that the highest partial pressure of Nitrogen occurs on your first dive. In order to determine this you can simply calculate PN2 or more simply comparing the EADs. So if you were going to do your first dive to 85 feet and your second to 70 feet and you had one bottle with a 32% blend and one with a 21% blend then by the fundamentals taught in your OW class you should dive the 32% blend on the second dive. If you were to breath the 32% blend on the first dive your EAD would be 68 feet which means you would have a higher partial pressure of Nitrogen on the second dive, which you want to avoid.

However, here's the other side of the coin. If you decide that you're going to dive the Nitrox first and the Air on the second dive giving yourself a slightly higher PPN2 (1% higher than your first dive) on the second dive and you do both dives for 20 minutes with a 2 hr surace interval on the YMCA dive tables you would come up as a G diver vs. an H diver which means you're actually doing less Nitrogen loading.

At the end of the day here's my two cents on the issue: YES you can mix air and Nitrox on the same day. If you have a good understanding of how the gases work, you understand some basic dive principles, you're going to be okay. If you're doing dives aggressive enough that you're pushing these limits to the edge than you're actually going to need a few class above Nitrox and AOW. (i.e. Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures)

You can even use air and Nitrox on the same dive! Not the same bottle, but the same dive!

what about your regulator do you have to have it cleaned

what about your regulator do you have to have it cleaned

no, you'll be ok with 40% Nitrox and below

you'd probably be ok even with 100% oxygen, but prudence suggest that you have them O2 cleaned in that case

(honestly, i have never been able to figure out the big deal about O2 cleaning regs -- i mean, what happens when the reg is exposed to air on the drive home?)

On air & Nitrox.. sure.. Just do your math...

On deep dive first what gas etc.. Honestly this is just one factor to consider in regards to DCS.. Divers have a tendancy to focus too much and don't spread their DCS prevention over the spectrum of prevenative measures.. That's the one issue I have with 'recreational' nitrox. Instructors tend to teach the subject in black & white... Gas is not the only consideration..

Are you a smoker? inhale boat exhaust at the surface? Read up on how sticky carbon monoxide is and how to prevent the goblins it causes..

Do you hydrate yourself until your pee is clear? Gross, but lets be adults.. blood volume/ perfusion is pretty important in the mix.. read more about this.. it is often overlooked, divers drink booze, cafeen etc... just somethign to think about as a diver...and put on your DCS checklist..

Health... injuries, surgeries.. poor blood circulation in some tissue parts...cold water... working hard at depth... crappy ascent rates... too aggressive computer setting (i do nothing more than 80% boil in each tissue compartment).. not doing saftey stops... doing a zig zag profile....

Take everything with a grain of salt.. sure you can mix gases.... sure you can dive deeper your second dive... but as a diver you try to put yourself in a position of least risk...

It's all determined how much risk you want to take...

For me? just do your math/set your computer appropriatly..and you will be fine.. some guys will preach textbook to you... but just realize there is more to diving then the gas choice.. that's what I want to communicate and hopefully you will be a better diver after reading this..

dive safe

no, you'll be ok with 40% Nitrox and below

you'd probably be ok even with 100% oxygen, but prudence suggest that you have them O2 cleaned in that case

(honestly, i have never been able to figure out the big deal about O2 cleaning regs -- i mean, what happens when the reg is exposed to air on the drive home?)

That's true, but when using 100% O2 it is not really ambient air contamination you need to worry about. Of greater concern are things like the type of O-rings used, and the lubricants. I've seen it myself. Not every shop uses Christolube or Tribolube when they service regs. And titanium regs are not recommended for 100% O2 at all.

And after some incidents in the tech community I now use 1.3 PO2 for planning purposes as opposed to 1.4 since we are seeing that Oxygen toxicity is not an exact science and it looks like some people are more susecptible and we don't know why.

The bottom line: YES, you can dive air, nitrox and other gas blends, all in the same day.

Um, air is nitrox, EAN 21 to be exact. What did you think you would breathe after the dive was over?

safe diving,

bullshark

What did you think you would breathe after the dive was over?

whatever it is, it will be at 1 atmosphere, so it's not an issue unless it's poisonous or something

You asked a simple question, I'll give you a simple answer. Yes. You can dive Nitrox and air on the same day. You just have to watch your Oxygen exposure limits. You'll learn about this when you take the course.
I know that many of us have vast knowledge of this and many other subjects. But the OP asked a simple question. He also indicated that he'd be taking the nitrox class next month. I know we mean well, but I think it's best not to overwhelm people who are just learning something. Remember, there are two answers to every question. The short answer and the long answer. Consider your audience before you start.
Good luck with your Nitrox class. Let us know how you liked it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom