Nitrox Cert for Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qatsi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

I'm heading to Belize in early December and am wondering whether Nitrox Certification is worthwhile getting ahead of this trip? Seems like many of the great dives are pretty deep. Any other advice about planning a trip to Belize would be very welcome.

Thanks!
Andrew

To me the answer to this question is YES.... and it has nothing to do with Belize.

The basic additional knowledge learned in the class is worth the trouble of taking the class.

By having the certification - you have a choice. You never "have" to dive nitrox but you will always have the option. No card - no options....

I agree with Dan - it's an excellent course to do anyway. In the context of Belize, you will rarely require nitrox, though you may prefer it. Mainly it's on three-dive days that you'll want to use it, on either or both the second and third dives. If you manage to dive around 10-12 miles north of San Pedro then you'll benefit from nitrox on all dives, as those dives are fairly square profile at 80-90 feet and on air you'll run out of no-deco bottom time very quickly.

For recreational diving you'll manage pretty well with just 32%, though 36% is available from one operator and any mix is available from another.

The nitrox course is mostly classroom and for someone fairly numerate can be done in half a day. Almost all can be done in private in advance, and that's by far the best way to do it.

I prefer Nitrox on most dives. That said depending on where you are diviing Nitrox may not be an option. Like Caye Caulker. If you can dive with someone that uses Nitrox for the dives after Blue Hole I would recommend it.

I'm heading to Belize in early December and am wondering whether Nitrox Certification is worthwhile getting ahead of this trip? Seems like many of the great dives are pretty deep. Any other advice about planning a trip to Belize would be very welcome.
as said, it's worth getting - then if Nitrox is available you have the choice.

As far as many of the great dives being pretty deep, realize that Nitrox is not for diving "pretty deep", especially if you are talking about the blue hole. Nitrox may get you more bottom time and less nitrogen, but it actually limits your depth more than air.

The BH operators that provide nitrox are Amigos del Mar and AquaDives, both in San Pedro. People staying on Caye Caulker can book with AquaDives (they have an office there) and pre-order nitrox for dives 2 and 3. AquaDives can supply any mix, and 36% can be used for dive 3. I don't believe Amigos pick up from CC but I may be wrong on that.

Thanks to everyone for their advice; I'm signed up for the course this coming weekend.

Here in Cape Town there are quite a few wrecks which lie at 30m - 40m depth so Nitrox would be good to give more bottom time. I can get about 35 minutes at 35m on air, but with the water temperature, Nitrox would go hand in hand with a dry suit I guess. Looking forward to some warm water diving!

Gatsi
You can now sign up for the Nitrox online course via PADI. If you go to the website www.ecologicdivers.com you can click thru to it.
Peter did't know we are also blending our own Nitrox as well as Ambergis Divers is. we blend a 28% when we go to the wreck dive as it is 120 ' deep.
Have fun

Thanks Steve, what I said was a bit out of date.

I think using nitrox for dives of 30m-40m is not of much benefit, as those dives will likely be limited by tank size rather than available bottom time. Depends on the consumption of the individual diver. Nitrox really comes into its own in the 20m-30m range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom