Nitrox clarifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another question, why would I use Nitrox to extend my bottom time when at depth (say 85-90ft) my bottom time will be quite limited by the amount of air I have available anyway?

Your bottom time may be limited to the amount of gas right now, but one day it may not be....after you get some more experience, get more comfortable in the water, and maybe buy a bigger tank, you will probably be dive-limited based on NDL in the 90 foot range.

For new divers, Nitrox certification is really not all that necessary as they're blowing through air like it's going out of style. In addition, if you're shore diving in socal, Nitrox may not be all that beneficial to you. Many sites max out less than 60 feet....in that range, I dive air. In the 60-100 foot range, Nitrox becomes worth the money.

I consider much over 70' *recreational* deep.

So I can do a flat 80' profile on Nitrox EANX 36 for approx 55 minutes. On air the Max no-deco time is approx 30 minutes. That is close to 2X the BT, so that gives on some perspective on how valuable this is.

Keep in mind, if you travel to dive, what is an extra 20 minutes of BT? IMO, a LOT! :D

Even if you are not pushing NDL, doing multiple dives a day Nitrox is going to help get more dives in a day, with faster off gassing.

Ironically no agency publicly recognizes the bonus effects of diving Nitrox.. so I will!

If I'm doing my math right, let's say a ppO2 of 1.4 at 160fsw your ideal gas will be EAN 27.

Is is just the fact that you're offsetting the Nitrogen and reducing your deco obligation?

Well... There is the possibility of a no-decompression dive to 160 feet. But that aside.

Without getting too technical, since this is the basic scuba forum :wink:

Doing a decompression dive on 25% nitrox (25% is a PO2 of 1.46 at 160 feet) vs. Air. You'd have less decompression than you would if you did the same dive with Air.

Depending on how much bottom time you did, you could save several minutes of decompression time by using the nitrox as your bottom gas.

/hijack

Back
Top Bottom