Nitrox in West Vallley??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are federal and state OSHA laws regarding using enriched air for diving (who can under what kind of supervision, etc.), and state laws are usually more restrictive. I'm not sure what the sticking point is for CA laws, but I just completed the sports chalet course for enriched air and the instructor (under contract of Sport Chalet, based in CA), must abide the CA rules, not those of AZ which are more "relaxed." My instructor used Nitrox when he dives, but can't use it with students evidently. Evidently PADI is lobbying to get the CA law changed.

shark.byte.usa:
So is there anywhere in the Valley; West preferred where I can get Nitrox in my non O2 cleaned tank [non partial pressure fills]?? I think Scuba Sciences could but don't because they adhere to ANDI standards where everything has to be O2 cleaned.

Am I just SOL unless I get a dedicated tank, which just seems like a waste unless I got 2 of them.

Thanks,
Garrett

Garrett, you can always have your tank cleaned and use it for both air and nitrox. You just need to make sure you only get it filled with hydrocarbon-free air. Basically, this means getting all of your fills at Scuba Sciences if you want to stay on the West side. All of my tanks are O2 cleaned. I don't waste my money on Nitrox when I'm diving Lake Pleasant, though.

Dive-aholic:
Garrett, you can always have your tank cleaned and use it for both air and nitrox. You just need to make sure you only get it filled with hydrocarbon-free air. Basically, this means getting all of your fills at Scuba Sciences if you want to stay on the West side. All of my tanks are O2 cleaned. I don't waste my money on Nitrox when I'm diving Lake Pleasant, though.
Well I wasn't really talking bout the lake, more of getting my tanks filled with Nitrox before I head to CA, especially when I go straight to a boat cuz usually the first dive is the deepest or I head to Deadman's in Laguna [max depth 80'+] or La Jolla. But after that I don't want to have to worry about finding Grade E or whatever it is air for the remainder of my trip that would be a hassle I just want to go to my regular CA shops. I'm probably SOL but just thought I'd check. I got the Nitrox cert would like to start using it on my deeper dives, but don't want the expense of special tanks; seems a waste, there's other gear where I could justify the expense and use more often.

Garrett

I figured that's what you wanted. Unfortunately, I think you're stuck. Either buy the extra tank or find the hydrocarbon-free air. The shops out this way just haven't come around to hydrocarbon-free compressors yet unless they're filling nitrox, and not many are. Have you asked the CA shops what they fill with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom