Nitrox mixes above 40%?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstachowsky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy,

I'm just taking the SSI nitrox course now and they mention that EAN40 is the highest they will talk about in the rec course. Just wondering, why would a tec diver use more than 40%? Is it just for decompression, or would it be used in, say, a shallow cave dive to increase limits?

MIKE

Increased PO2 of the breathing gas changes the partial pressure exerted on other gases (nitrogen) in the body and forces it out of the the tissues more quickly. I tend to use 50% as a deco mix and do my gas switch at 70'. This places my PO2 of 02 at 1.6 and really kicks in the decompression. Others may only use 100% O2 and switch at 20'. The PO2 of 100% O2 at 20' is 1.6 as well.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 10:51 AM ----------

To answer you question - no - higher O2 would not be used to extend a shallow dive.

The only reason I've ever heard of is for more efficient decompression. Rather than switching to a non-standard gas to get around NDL limits in a shallow cave, I would just plan on doing the deco at the end if needed.

Neat. So I guess the "advanced nitrox" courses (well into my future...far into my future :p ) are essentially decompression courses?

MIKE

Neat. So I guess the "advanced nitrox" courses (well into my future...far into my future :p ) are essentially decompression courses?

MIKE

Correct. Honestly I've never seen rec diving provide a mix beyond 36%. 32% and 36% are considered standards. Some locations may deviate due to standard depths of the wrecks. An example would be Morehead City, NC. Everyone banks 30% as the depths are almost exclusively in the 100-125' range.

MOD for 40% is 99ft at 1.6 (table on internet). so the course limits to that because limiting a dive under that depth starts to require some thinking.

diving more O2 only increases bottom time on repetitive dives, a tank of air lasts exactly the same as a tank of Nx. when in say Bonaire where you can do 4 dives in 5 hours Nx is the only way but you only need 32%.

If you have a good SAC rate and/or dive a larger tank then nitrox can buy you a bit more bottom time on the first dive.

Some like to stay below 1.6 for an extra margin of safety.

MIKE

Correct. If you take Advanced Nitrox from TDI for example, you will almost always that the Decompression Procedures course along with it.

Is it in the advanced nitrox course as well that using 1.6 instead of 1.4 is taught? I understand that the 1.4 is merely a conservative safety factor on the 1.6. But does it become "common practice" to ignore the 1.4 after "Advanced Nitrox". Or is the 1.4 just a PADI limit?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom