Nitrox problem, is it normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And since you want to start spouting about experience let me ask you this? How in the world do you accidently go to 185???? Sounds like someone was not paying attention to their instruments as I believe we are all trained to do at all times, and who paid over $200 to make sure you know your bouyancy for the scientific cert?? Our dive was completely planned from start to finish complete with up to date depth readings of the lake. This was not meant to get turned into a pissing match and I am sorry it seems to have come to that but if you really want to start talking experience and training than we can make that private if you want.

kalidor's8:
And since you want to start spouting about experience let me ask you this? How in the world do you accidently go to 185???? Sounds like someone was not paying attention to their instruments as I believe we are all trained to do at all times, and who paid over $200 to make sure you know your bouyancy for the scientific cert?? Our dive was completely planned from start to finish complete with up to date depth readings of the lake. This was not meant to get turned into a pissing match and I am sorry it seems to have come to that but if you really want to start talking experience and training than we can make that private if you want.
No I was watching depth okay, got narced, reacted poorly - survived to learn better, but otherwise - I have no defense for that. Knowing how bad I did then makes me more prone to discuss others' deep dives that may seem poorly planned, but you have now better explained your experience and training.

TY

Hi DD!

First, please let me say that I wasn't directing any of my comments at you, they were more general. You're one of my favorite posters on this board and I know you always have the best interests of everyone in mind. Keep up the GOOD work!

My "read" on the experience of these guys was that they were commercial divers starting to do recreational dives as well. "Deep" air for commercial guys is often is 160 to 180 FT, so when Bill made the comments concerning "narcosis," I knew where he was coming from. The original "question" about nitrox indicated to me that they were probably inexperienced using nitrox as a breathing gas, instead of air or heliox, the more common breathing gases for commercial operations. When you do commercial work on air, you very quickly realize what narcosis is, and more importantly what it ISN'T. My comment concerning the pervasiveness of "narcosis opinions" on this board - and now apparently "oxygen narcosis" as well - was directed at much of the misinformation presented by people who really don't know what they are talking about but think they do.

On top of that, you really need to visit the training facility at the Ocean Corp to appreciate the level of preparation these guys have gone through to get where they are. It's one of the top - if not THE top - commercial training facilities in the world. Additionally, the Ocean Corp is a prime contractor for much O&G, government and recovery work world wide.

So, yeah, I take them at their word...

You hit the nail on the head Drew, the nitrox dive in question was our first nitrox dive. Super does have many more rec dives than I do but he also has several more years on me. I am trying to catch up but since he is my only dive buddy it is kind of hard lol.

Waterskier1:
Are these instructor notes/lesson guide? I didn't get any lecture, just read the study guide and watched the DVD.

In my book I got last year it was there, plain as day. We also covered it in the class as well.

As far as I can remember there is on paper, done back in about 1978, that suggested that pure oxygen has a narcotic effect (10% reduction in something or other, but no reduction of some other thing, if I remember) at about 1.5 ATA which was the same impairment exhibited diving AIR with a ppO2 of about 1.5 ATM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom