Nitrox Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I charge about $200, but that includes two boat dives, materials, equipment rental including dive computer, nitrox fills, certification fees and one-on-one instruction.

This sounds like what I paid when I completed enriched air in Thailand as well ....
This was also before the PADI materials had changed, so it included instruction in EAD and MOD theory and calculations, "best mix", CNS oxygen clock and tox, as well as both the EANX32 & EANX36 RDP.

Two dives with nitrox from a boat, one-on-one .... chasing a whaleshark!

edit - not "chasing" per se, that would be irresponsible .... but you get the picture

Last edited:
I charge $200.00, but there are only 3 students in class and we make at least two required dives in which we will work on teamwork, communication, trim, buoyancy, frog kicks, mod frog kicks, mod flutter kicks, shuffle kicks, helo trurns, backward kicks, DSMB deployment, navigating with a primary reel while running line at a pretend MOD, navigating with a compass in blue water while maintaining safety stop, S-drills and valve drills for either single or double tanks and toxing diver rescue. If possible I'll throw in a night dive. You'll learn battlefield math. Like Robert said, you get what you pay for. And, like Dave said, higher priced classes are either good ones or rip-off's with good classes not being the norm in the industry.

Would love to take a class like this when the time comes!

Here is the Nitrox course pricing for my LDS. No dives, of course. Dives are neither necessary or required.

Class Tuition = $ 75.00. Course Materials = $56.10+tax. PADI Enriched Air Diver DVD = $30.00+tax (you may return after class completion for a refund). PADI Enriched Air Certification Card = $30+tax.

Including a couple quality dives is a nice add-on that should be OK to many - but not all. I'm sure there are quite a few opinions on what are quality dives. Adding additional skills, related or not, would really depend on whether the student is interested in paying extra for those skill. After all, the prospective student may already possess them.

If you are just shopping for a basic car that will get you around, most folks are not interested in paying for all the extras that can OPTIONALLY be added.

Including a couple quality dives is a nice add-on that should be OK to many - but not all. I'm sure there are quite a few opinions on what are quality dives. Adding additional skills, related or not, would really depend on whether the student is interested in paying extra for those skill. After all, the prospective student may already possess them.

If you are just shopping for a basic car that will get you around, most folks are not interested in paying for all the extras that can OPTIONALLY be added.
No problem. People who want that sort of bare-bones nitrox training, can just "shop around" until they find the course structure they're looking for. No agency, shop, or instructor has to be all things to all divers.

One of shops I frequent charges $105 +books, PADI certification included.

I believe that this is one of those apples to oranges questions. Does the course include dives? It looks like PADI doesn't require dives as part of that course so the lower priced ones probably don't include the dives. A good idea to understand whether you are getting a good deal in anything you purchase: ask for details. One LDS has two prices for that course - with or without dives.

I paid $199, from what I remember, for my nitrox class in 2011... It was too much, especially considering it was e-learning and MAYBE half a hour of an instructor's time. Unfortunately that was, and seems to still be, the going rate around here for the class. I don't intend to charge near that much if I ever teach the course outside of an LDS, especially if there's no dives involved.

We charge $195.

However, the student can apply the Nitrox course cost towards a dive computer.

Or if they have purchased a dive computer, then they receive Nitrox training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom