Nitrox Tank Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Bought a couple brand new AL-80's today, and took to another shop to convert to nitrox. Called a local shop, who told me it would cost $50 each to O2 clean tank + valve. Cool. I figured I'd get outta there for a little over $110 total.

Took them to the shop, only took them 1/2 day to do the cleaning and fill with nitrox. Cool. I was expecting a week or so.

Got the bill. Total cost: $220 freakin' dollars !!!. That's what it cost me to buy the two tanks in the first place !!!!

Here's the rundown:

They did VIP's on both, even though they had just been VIP'd about 3 hours before, and I told them before they were brand new: Cost $30

Two of those cylinder wrap stickers that says "NITROX" or whatever: Cost: $24. Are you freakin' kidding me?? $24 for two stickers?

Two contents tags: Cost $12

Six Viton O-rings: Cost $15

Actual cleaning of tanks and valves: Cost $118

31.2% nitrox fills (damn, they couldn't even get that right): Cost $20

Of course that's the last they'll be seeing of me. But I'm curious, how badly was I screwed?

Are we to assume the cylinders were bought elsewhere 3 hours earlier and that they were factory O2 ready?

Pete

Yes and No. Bought elsewhere 3 hours earlier, but just standard air tanks.

pretty bad - the vips, the nitrox stickers, the content tags, and probably the bottle cleaning as well.

Sounds like they overcharged to me. He could have, at the very least, thrown in the fill and VIP. My local LDS only charges $40 for the 02 clean and he threw in the sticker, tag, fill, & VIP. Probably helps that I've bought a few grand worth of equipment from him.
I would think if the dive shop you went to wanted to keep you as a customer, they would have been a lot more reasonable and made you feel like you were getting a lot more value for your $.

there's a lesson here - ask the price first...

I did. As I mentioned in the first paragraph, they had said $50 each over the phone. But apparently that assumed that the tank had all the tags and stickers, and didn't need a VIP. I had no idea they would nickel and dime me like that.

Though I'm wondering if there is a legit need to do a special VIP for O2 use? Anyone know if there's a difference in VIP's ?

mccabejc:
I did. As I mentioned in the first paragraph, they had said $50 each over the phone. But apparently that assumed that the tank had all the tags and stickers, and didn't need a VIP.

No, that was ~ what they charged you for the "cleaning" $64 apeice. $50 for each bottle and $14 for each valve. They just neglected to tell you that there would be 'Other' needed work/items TOO. In other words you got hosed!

For all that, it usually costs me $40 per tank (and that's Canadian dollars), which includes a nitrox blend of my choice. Sorry to say, sounds like you got hosed, eh?!

mccabejc:
I did. As I mentioned in the first paragraph, they had said $50 each over the phone. But apparently that assumed that the tank had all the tags and stickers, and didn't need a VIP. I had no idea they would nickel and dime me like that.

Though I'm wondering if there is a legit need to do a special VIP for O2 use? Anyone know if there's a difference in VIP's ?
I don't believe there is a difference in VIPs. I do believe that when they do the 02 service, the VIP can and should be done.
I am curious though, did they put some type of "02 cleaned" sticker/label on your tanks or just the Nitrox & VIP stickers?

Back
Top Bottom