Nitrox training (PADI vs. TDI)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all,

The PADI NitrOx course was great for me. I loved the science and the math, and book was ultra clear from the start. The video could have been more detailed, but I really like to understand HOW things work, and WHY we do things in a particular way. The tables made it almost too simple to figure things out... of course I do dive with a Cobra, so I don't use the tables that often. I am looking forward to taking a more advanced gas course (hurry up, PADI) but will probably have to use another agency for that.

A striking dilemma with TDI is that their basic nitrox class requires zero dives, whereas their advanced nitrox class requires 3 dives.

I would think that either class should require some dives, or that either class would require no dives. Then there would be consistency. But there isn't consistency.

It also doesn't make sense to me that these nitrox classes are a separate class. Basic nitrox can easily be taught as a part of an advanced OW class, and advanced nitrox can easily be taught as a basic deco class. Seems like a waste of money to have a separate basic nitrox class or an advanced nitrox class.

The PADI Nitrox course is in the process of being updated / revamped, so wait a month and sign up, it's a good course.

You ask about the different tables - TDI PADI. I wouldn't worry about this at this level. Get a computer when you are ready and you will soon forget about tables until you start doing very deep dives!

Press on to the rescue diver - its well worth it. Not sure what the PADI MSD says about you - I only know one person that has it. Might be useful if you are going down the PADI professional route, but otherwise I would spend the money diving. Experience is what you need now most of all.

Best wishes with your diving "career".

Chris

chrisch once bubbled...
Not sure what the PADI MSD says about you - I only know one person that has it. Might be useful if you are going down the PADI professional route, but otherwise I would spend the money diving.

Chris
PADI Master Scuba Diver is the highest non-professional rating so would be of no use professionaly.
You are right about it not being very popular, I have only certified a handfull of MSD's, people seem to prefer the pro route and go to Divemaster instead.

IndigoBlue once bubbled...
A striking dilemma with TDI is that their basic nitrox class requires zero dives, whereas their advanced nitrox class requires 3 dives.

I would think that either class should require some dives, or that either class would require no dives. Then there would be consistency. But there isn't consistency.

Basic nitrox doesn't require any in-water skills. Using 100% oxygen requires pretty good buoyancy, plus it requires you to carry and handle a stage - both of which are water skills.
Regards,
Vlad

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IndigoBlue once bubbled...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts, after taking the TDI courses (doing Trimix next season).

Basic Nitrox isn't really a "tech" thing, but more of a recreational, "get more out fo your diving" type of thing. It also primes the Rec diver for possible tech training. It gets one thinking about it.

As to the dives......why do dives for Basic Nitrox? Really, what nitrox related activity would you realistically practice? The basic nitrox course is a "mental" thing. Doing math as it were.

The Advanced Nitrox is, 99% of the time, combined with Deco Procedures, and as such is truly TDI's first "Real" Tec course. Of course it requires dives.....this is the real McCoy. This is most people first chance at stages, blowing lift bags, using all the new found "Tech" knowledge.

As GUE puts it, your license to learn without an instructor. (After obtaining the card).

NetDoc once bubbled...
The tables made it almost too simple to figure things out...
When I took the class, my tank had 28% which meant I couldn't even use the EAD table. This was actually a good thing as I had to hand calculate everything further reinforcing my undrstanding of it all. For my second dive, I topped of the tank with banked 32% and got ~30% and had to calculate everything again. Granted if you have a tank with 32% +/-1 the tables make it a no-brainer, but that wont always be the case...

mwilding once bubbled...
When I took the class, my tank had 28% which meant I couldn't even use the EAD table.
NAUI provides a cool wheel that gives EAD for all percentages from 21 to 40, as well as PPO2 limits. Helps to cut down on the math (though you still need to know how to do it manually).
All you need is the wheel and an air table.

Back
Top Bottom