Nitrox training (PADI vs. TDI)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just completed the PADI nitrox course two weeks ago....the instructor was fine...but the material left a lot to be desired.

Unlike all other PADI courses I have taken...I did not have the opportunity to pick up the book ahead of time and read it...practice the math.... and get my questions together on things i didnt understand.

i walked into the class cold and did the best i could. Still made a 90% on the end of course test...but should have done better.

What torqued me the most was the constant confusion between the metric system and the ""American"" system. I found the PADI video...as most are...not that worthwhile...but probably more than most. The instructor indicated PADI was going to have a metric course ...and a non metric course....and keep down on the confusion because of all the complaints they had received. But,, it wasnt going to happen in the next twenty minutes so get on with it....and i did.

To be blunt...I really saw no need for two dives just to breath air with a higher oxy content. I learned the math...i learned the principles....i will reread and reread that book and reread it again.....not to mention any other books i can find on the subject. Because...I understand diving can kill you....

but still....all doing the two dives for me did was freeze my butt off in an old rock quarry. There was no after dive exercises...there was nothing other than cleaning my gear for 45 minutes in the shower....so if i was a voting person...can the dives. ((((yes...we did the analyzing and all that))))

save your flames....i deploy to korea for three months tomorrow.... no internet connectivity...man that sucks'

I have a hunch that the 2 dives required in the PADI Nitrox course are due to leagalality and liability issues (they do have a pretty good team of layers). I found the course gave me a good base for things to come, advanced nitrox, deco and extended range. My instructor was very good and had us calculate everything by hand (no EAD's or tables) I dive nitrox 70% of the time now and carry a reserve "pony" just incase I find something really interesting down there, with gas switching on the comp now I can substantially increase bottom time without blowing NDL, for recreational diving this works great. Nitrox can not be good sometimes depending on what kind of diving you are planning, if you can afford it and if you have a buddy who can do the same. If you are planning to "go tec" then nitrox is a good start, and it's a bonus because you can do it with your AOW course. Good luck on your rescue course, I found it one of the better PADI courses as for content and waterskills.

hey look it's another rockfish...

mwilding once bubbled...
...as I had to hand calculate everything further reinforcing my undrstanding of it all. For my second dive, I topped of the tank with banked 32% and got ~30% and had to calculate everything again. Granted if you have a tank with 32% +/-1 the tables make it a no-brainer, but that wont always be the case...

Solution: Make your own tables! I did. And if you do, don't give them to anyone, because who knows what liability that would incur! (Even though they are based on the basic equations given in the book).

I just wanted to point out a couple of things that people have siad regarding tables and computers:

Get a computer when you are ready and you will soon forget about tables...
This is something I hear more and more... and I have to say I don't agree with it. What I think we should say is: "Get a computer, and then after your dive compare it to your tables, or better yet a multi-level profile from the wheel, and see how you would exceed NDL's or approach them if not using the comp."

I say this because I see too many people who come diving up here and can't use the tables worth a damn. Its not as if they are hard to figure out anyways!

To stop hijacking the thread... I agree that the PADI Nitrox course is a valuable one. I also think that the dives are a good idea, and here is my reason for having at least one certification dive. If I am going to certify your a$$ to use NITROX, I want to make sure that you can do so wihtout exceeding planned depths and/or MODs. If you cannot illustrate to me that you can accomplish that on a dive, I WILL NOT INCREASE MY LIABILITY by certifying you. Also, if they do not keep checking their depth and stay away from planned depth/time limits, they obviously are not deserving of the certification. This is a huge step for a recreational diver in proving that they can clearly think underwater; for some this is just the beginning of their next step: tech diving, and we want to know that they can monitor depths and times in these situations!!!

Back
Top Bottom