NITROX Yes or no ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other than exceeding the MOD not a lot really.

av8er23:
what are the dangers of nitrox if you were given it and not had proper training.

Nitrox has a much shallower depth limit than air. It's quite possible on Nitrox to expose yourself to a toxic dose of oxygen without going over the 40 metre (130ft) mark. You could experience what is called "oxygen toxicity" (often abbreviated to "oxtox") which can make you, among other things, lose consciousness. Oxygen toxicity isn't necessarily harmful in itself but losing consciousness underwater is bad mojo.

This is one of the little details they bring up in the training.

R..

P.S. As Sting points out, going too deep is called "exceeding the MOD" The MOD is the "Maximum Operating Depth".

Questions:

Have you had any problems getting Nitrox fills anywhere you've gone diving?

No. I make sure that Nitrox is available before I go. If nitrox wasn't available, then I wouldn't go.

Are you glad you went with Nitrox ?

Absolutely. I look at it this way. Nitrogen serves no purpose underwater. It creates problems and has no offsetting benefits. Eliminating it causes no issues, so long as you understand the limits of the gas you are diving.

In addition, I tend to kick into deco before I run out of gas. Nitrox increases my bottom time.

I haven't done an air dive outside of a swimming pool in a few years.

Have you noticed your gas consumption rate has reduced since using Nitrox (ie: higher blood oxygenation )

No.

Any negative comments about Nitrox (apart from the risk of O2 toxicity) ?

It requires a bit more planning. Its helpful to learn top off calculations so that you won't need to drain a half full tank or end up with a mix that is other than what you want.

It costs a bit more for fills and you won't be able to have your tanks filled from a shop that doesn't pump hyperfiltered air if you want to get partial pressure fills. IMHO, its safer to stay away from non-hyperfiltered air regardless of whether you want to get PP fills because the potential downside of dumping pure O2 into a tank or through a valve that are not O2 clean very bad.

Thanks Northeastwrecks, your comments are well taken...

I never even thought of that... If you fill your tank with EAN32 and drain it to half during a dive. Then you want to plan a dive as EAN36... How do you top up the tank to get the right mix that you want ? I have more reading to do. (lol)

BTW I have decided to take the NITROX course.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Thanks Northeastwrecks, your comments are well taken...

I never even thought of that... If you fill your tank with EAN32 and drain it to half during a dive. Then you want to plan a dive as EAN36... How do you top up the tank to get the right mix that you want ? I have more reading to do. (lol)

BTW I have decided to take the NITROX course.

My shop uses partial pressure. Accordingly, I calculate how much O2 I need to add in order to end up with the desired final FO2 at the target. I add the appropriate amount of O2, then top with hyperfiltered air.

The limiting factor in my case is whether the O2 cascade is at a sufficiently high pressure to allow me to fill on top of the remaining gas. Usually I can, but sometimes I can't.

The next thing you'll need is a cooperative shop that will do it for you or let you do it.

I do it to save time and because I hate wasting gas. It's also nice to be able to conserve helium when I'm topping trimix.

Anywhere you can get a tank filled has Nitrox :wink:

Gary D.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
It wasn't available on the ship in the Seychelles, but some of the dives were too deep and long--would have been running up against oxygen toxicity limits.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Sure, although I don't always use it. For doing long dives over multiple days, I'd say it's a good deal safer than air.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Have you noticed your gas consumption rate has reduced since using Nitrox
My SCR continues to decline slowly, but that's more to do with improved drysuit control and minimizing my weighting.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Any negative comments about Nitrox?
Nitrox fills cost me. I get my air fills free. Also, you'll have to dedicate tanks to it, so now you'll have two sets of tanks. More stuff, and I'm running out of room as it is.

Fin on,
Bryan

"Have you had any problems getting Nitrox fills anywhere you've gone diving?"
Nope, but sometimes I had to look.

"Are you glad you went with Nitrox ?"
Yes, I learned many things from the corse

"Have you noticed your gas consumption rate has reduced since using Nitrox (ie: higher blood oxygenation )"
The only thing I have noticed is I feel better when I get out of the water. ie. Im not as tired

"Any negative comments about Nitrox (apart from the risk of O2 toxicity) ?"
Nope, Tis all good

Nitrox is an invaluable certification if you plan on doing multi day diving. But, I just returned from a trip to Sipadan Malaysia, one of the premier diving destinations in SEA, and they didn't have any nitrox, I did between 4-6 dives a day for a week using normal air. My max depth was 50m even on a day with 5 dives. I was still within the limits but I would have used nitrox if they had it. Disadvantage: it costs more.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
I am considering taking a NITROX course and was wondering what percentage of recreational divers use Nitrox.

I know the advantages are longer NDL's ; reduced decompression penalties due to lower nitrogen levels; shorter SI's and generally feeling less tired or lethargic.

Questions:

Have you noticed your gas consumption rate has reduced since using Nitrox (ie: higher blood oxygenation )

Any negative comments about Nitrox (apart from the risk of O2 toxicity) ?

i'm planing to take a nitrox course because of the ability to use it, even if a place you go doesnt have it, you can still dive air. but when you dive at home, you can dive nitrox

Back
Top Bottom