Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the above details, I would say don't pursue nitrox. Rather, I would recommend you learn to become a competent, independent diver. Get your own computer and learn to use it to execute your own dives. Until you can dive independently without having your life dependent upon a dive professional (DM/Guide), you really shouldn't be taking on nitrox in my opinion.
Well...given that I only dive a couple times a year on cruises I haven't really had the opportunity or desire to put much time into doing much more than basic stuff. I'm happy keeping things simple.

However my wife just inherited her parent's house in central Florida. We expect we will be spending the winters there starting next year. The community it's in has a dive club and frequent (monthly) meetings and dives. I'll look into it next time I'm down there.

And...I started looking at computers so there's that. Any suggestions for a basic, beginner comp?

Well...given that I only dive a couple times a year on cruises I haven't really had the opportunity or desire to put much time into doing much more than basic stuff. I'm happy keeping things simple.

However my wife just inherited her parent's house in central Florida. We expect we will be spending the winters there starting next year. The community it's in has a dive club and frequent (monthly) meetings and dives. I'll look into it next time I'm down there.

And...I started looking at computers so there's that. Any suggestions for a basic, beginner comp?
Either the Deep6 Excursion or the Shearwater Peregrine.

If you end up in Central Florida I would definitely recommend getting a bit more active and to get with one of the cave instructors in the area, someone like a @kensuf to do a couple of days of skills building that will make your diving much more enjoyable

I'll try and answer some of your questions.

The Curacao dives were 37 and 57 feet, about 35 mins each.there were 5 divers

Typically, dives are with small groups i.e, 3-6 people though in Bonaire and several places I've had the DM/ guide to myself. Just returned from Roatan and dived with 2 others and a DM. In Mahahaul, Mexico I was the only diver. The last time in Aruba there were 12 divers split between 2 DMs.

I sometimes book the dives through the ship and sometimes with private operators so you never know how many divers there's going to be. It seems though that the typical ratio of divers to DMs is 6:1.

I typically cruise 2, sometimes 3 times a year and that's when I dive. Though I cruised 4 times last year making up for delayed covid years cruises. I dived 14 times on cruises last year. I dived 4 times on a cruise this year. Dont have any more cruises planned until January '24, though we may go one more time this year if we find something cheap.

I dont have, use a computer.

You don’t have OR use a computer? What do you do - piggyback off the DM?

Not a good practice at all.

Nitrox is called “geezer gas.” You’re a geezer. Get the nitrox cert. I feel much better diving on nitrox than air.

• Good long distance, pretty fuzzy up close.

So you need a large lit colored screen. If you don't want AI peregrine if you do perdix.

You don’t have OR use a computer? What do you do - piggyback off the DM?

Not a good practice at all.

Nitrox is called “geezer gas.” You’re a geezer. Get the nitrox cert. I feel much better diving on nitrox than air.

Hmmm... what did divers do before dive computers?

I actually see quite a few divers on cruise W/O them.

• Good long distance, pretty fuzzy up close.

You couldn't go wrong with a Shearwater Peregrine. There are other solid computers that would work as well, but you'll find many of us are huge Shearwater fans because of their quality, reliability, and outstanding customer service.

If you want air integration, you'll need to look at the Perdix 2 with a transmitter. That computer with transmitter is well over twice the price though of the Peregrine.

Hmmm... what did divers do before dive computers?

I actually see quite a few divers on cruise W/O them.

"On cruises" are the key words there. That is a very low bar. Try diving outside of cruise ship charters and you'll be hard pressed finding a diver without a computer. I promise you the DM/guide you are trusting has one and possibly two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom