Niue ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did so 23 years ago.

Lots of sea snakes - above, below, to the right, to the left. Not dangerous, just a bit unnerving. There are no real "protected" diving areas as far as weather is concerned and no bays. Water is super clear and warm with no wet suit required.

People were very friendly.

Hopefully someone with more recent experience can chime in.

My partner and I were there in July 2016, the water was warm and crystal clear, the caves were great, and the sea snakes plentiful.

If you want a bit of romance I recommend Lau's Getaway to stay at, but you will need a car
Lau’s Getaway | Alofi, Niue boutique hotel, inn, lodging

Avi and Lau were great hosts and run one of the restaraunts in town.

Unless things have changed you have to fly via Auckland NZ.

There were two dive operators when we were there,we dived with Buccaneer and Niue Dive located very conveniently next to the Matavai Resort, which I have also stayed at and can recommend. I don't have the name of the other operator sorry.

BuND were quite conservative in where and how we dived, as there is no chamber on the island,and evacuation would be by Hercules, about a 6 hour flight, once the NZ Air Force gets moving.

The reefs on the leeward side of the island got pretty beaten up in a cyclone in 2004, but are recovering nicely.

In late July humpback whales start to pass through, and put on impressive displays. A bit later is probably a bit better for whales.

December through to February is the Cyclone season in the Southern Hemisphere, and probably a good time to avoid.

The locals are friendly and the island is safe. Sunday is a day of rest, and nothing happens. Avi who arranged a car for us told us to leave the car unlocked and the keys in it, as it was painful to get replacement keys.

If you want a relaxing holiday with very good diving Niue is worth a serious look. I have been 3 times and wiould probably go back, but the bucket list gets longer and longer.

Cheers

russjstewart i wanted to write u in privet but cant .. what is better niew or tonga with humpback during late july and august?

thanks

Hi saritis1122,

I am sorry to say that I have never been to Tonga, so I cannot compare the two places.

thanks, did u saw the humpback while u dived? can i have your e mail please?
thanks

I have never seen humpbacks while on scuba. They don't seem to like the bubbles . The dive op does runs separate snorkelling trips
Whale Trips

The only time I have seen whales underwater was on a previous trip, when whales were in the area during our surface interval. We were able to get a quick snorkel in. That was with the previous owners of the shop and I believe the Government had tightened up the regulations regarding whale watching since the earlier trip.

I suggest you contact the dive operators to find out what is allowed. I will try and p.m you

We dove with buccaneer adventures/Niue Dive (B.A.N.D) in February 2018, and we were very impressed with their operation and the dives. Sadly, due to cyclone season, ( Jan/feb I believe) we had some weather issues, but we’re eventually able to get in the water coosecto the end of our stay. We’d head about the legendary clarity/visibility, but until you see it, it’s hard to imagine. Normal Divers of cayman and Cozumel, so we’re used to good visibility, but this was a different level.
Every Dive was met with Niuean sea kraits (endemic to the island) and the hard coral formations are maturing quickly after the cyclone in 2004 caused a lot of damage.
Lots of swim thrus, caves, and sea life. Schools of barracuda, some good nudibranchs.
Humpback season is supposedly pretty reliable, and they have good pelagic life normally. The day after I left, they saw an oceanic white tip ( always the luck).
The owners are great, and can help you with accommodation , vehicle info if emailed.
We didn’t stay at Laus getaway, but met the owner and saw his place. Amazing looking! Well definetly book Laus getaway on return trips.

Happy to tell you more aboutthis hidden little gem of the South Pacific if requested.

Back
Top Bottom