NMFS has issued the IHA to Rutgers et al:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why have you posted this? Is there something in particular we should be looking at?

Why have you posted this? Is there something in particular we should be looking at?
NJDIVER1 is with a group called NJ Council of Diving Clubs, scubanj.org/
It isn't clear what that larger group's agenda is, but NJDIVER1 has been working with Clean Ocean Action (COA) to stop the Rutgers seismic research. COA tried legal efforts last year, and this year (at least in January), persuaded the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJ DEP), to threaten legal action on the argument that this NSF (therefore Federal) initiative somehow violates New Jersey's Coastal Zone Management Act. To illustrate, NJ DEP in March actually mentioned access to the Lillian as an economic problem. With that in mind, I notice NJDIVER spamming fishing groups on one hand, pushing arguments on impact on fish...and here, he is trying to understand any legal nuance possible that could be used by his buddies at COA to push the NJ DEP to legal action. He is not really interested in the impact of sound on divers, as far as I've been able to determine.

I take it, NJDIVER1, that you are not interested in the attenuation data I posted?

The data that is cut-and-paste from the NMFS page?
Or the data that shows that you are looking for ways to destroy the Langseth project?

The data in this thread's post #3, as well as others, that may keep recreational divers safe in the area surrounding the "Langseth project".

The data in this thread's post #3, as well as others, that may keep recreational divers safe in the area surrounding the "Langseth project".
I have read it. There is no diving in the area where the Rutgers research is taking place, or near it, so it is not really relevant, unless one of your colleagues with the diving community is preparing to say he is economically impacted because he can't look at the Lillian.

I have read it. There is no diving in the area where the Rutgers research is taking place, or near it, so it is not really relevant, unless one of your colleagues with the diving community is preparing to say he is economically impacted because he can't look at the Lillian.

As you have stated that you are not a diver in a previous post:

Hello njdiver1,
and hello to others in this particular forum.
This is my first post here, so I apologize if the fonts are wrong, or something. I am very interested in reading this discussion about the possible impact of the sound produced by research vessel R/V Langseth on divers who might be near the area of that project planned for this summer.
I am not a diver, and I am not a research scientist, although I am fascinated with the science involved.

I would like to know the approximate location of any wrecks of interest to the diving community within the Langseth's research area or nearby (within 10 miles). From various internet sources, including posts on this board, I have found two wrecks. They are the Lillian (as mentioned in the current draft EA), and also the Maurice Tracy (which NJDIVER says was included in last year's EA, but doesn't appear here). Can you tell me where these 2 wrecks are, how deep they are from the surface-- and how often divers tend to go there?
I have written down these coordinates defining the space of the Langseth's projected work. I assume both these shipwrecks are within this area.

Langseth 2014/2015 targeted locations:
L1 39.3° N 73.2° W
L2 39.7° N 73.8° W

I write essentially with total ignorance on the technicalities of all this, and will be grateful for any clarifications of how this project affects the diving community that works and plays off of New Jersey's shore.

as well as “I am not a research scientist” and “I write essentially with total ignorance on the technicalities of all this”. Yet you make claims to knowledge on these subjects in your statements and accusations of others. There are several wrecks within a 10 kilometer distance of the proposed “project” area. That there are thousands of sites in the NY Bight, divers do have options. They need to know before they leave their dock if they might be in the area of the “project” to avoid any “conflict” with it. We are in communication with the scientists involved and operators of the R/V Marcus G. Langseth and will be issuing a warning to as many members of the metro area diving community as we have contacts for and posting on websites frequented by divers as well.

NJDIVER1 is with a group called NJ Council of Diving Clubs, scubanj.org/
It isn't clear what that larger group's agenda is, but NJDIVER1 has been working with Clean Ocean Action (COA) to stop the Rutgers seismic research. COA tried legal efforts last year, and this year (at least in January), persuaded the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJ DEP), to threaten legal action on the argument that this NSF (therefore Federal) initiative somehow violates New Jersey's Coastal Zone Management Act. To illustrate, NJ DEP in March actually mentioned access to the Lillian as an economic problem. With that in mind, I notice NJDIVER spamming fishing groups on one hand, pushing arguments on impact on fish...and here, he is trying to understand any legal nuance possible that could be used by his buddies at COA to push the NJ DEP to legal action. He is not really interested in the impact of sound on divers, as far as I've been able to determine.
As demonstrated by my post #9 in this thread, Post #3 in the same thread in Underwater Hunting and several others, our main concern is for recreational divers’ safety. Your insinuations of my “spamming fishing groups” will not hold up when anyone actually views the information I have posted. The NJCDC is not a member of Clean Ocean Action.

As you have stated that you are not a diver in a previous post:

Hello njdiver1,
and hello to others in this particular forum.
This is my first post here, so I apologize if the fonts are wrong, or something. I am very interested in reading this discussion about the possible impact of the sound produced by research vessel R/V Langseth on divers who might be near the area of that project planned for this summer.
I am not a diver, and I am not a research scientist, although I am fascinated with the science involved.

I would like to know the approximate location of any wrecks of interest to the diving community within the Langseth's research area or nearby (within 10 miles). From various internet sources, including posts on this board, I have found two wrecks. They are the Lillian (as mentioned in the current draft EA), and also the Maurice Tracy (which NJDIVER says was included in last year's EA, but doesn't appear here). Can you tell me where these 2 wrecks are, how deep they are from the surface-- and how often divers tend to go there?
I have written down these coordinates defining the space of the Langseth's projected work. I assume both these shipwrecks are within this area.

Langseth 2014/2015 targeted locations:
L1 39.3° N 73.2° W
L2 39.7° N 73.8° W

I write essentially with total ignorance on the technicalities of all this, and will be grateful for any clarifications of how this project affects the diving community that works and plays off of New Jersey's shore.
as well as “I am not a research scientist” and “I write essentially with total ignorance on the technicalities of all this”. Yet you make claims to knowledge on these subjects in your statements and accusations of others.

We are in communication with the scientists involved and operators of the R/V Marcus G. Langseth and will be issuing a warning to as many members of the metro area diving community as we have contacts for and posting on websites frequented by divers as well.

Lamont-Doherty and NSF Seismic Survey in the NW Atlantic Ocean offshore NJ, Summer 2015

Status
Public Comment Period
Issued Date
Effective Dates
ACTIVE
closed
05/07/15
06/01/2015 - 08/31/2015
SUMMARY: We have issued an IHA to Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, in collaboration with the National Science Foundation, and Rutgers University to take, by Level B harassment only, marine mammals, incidental to conducting a marine seismic survey in the northwest Atlantic Ocean off the New Jersey coast in summer 2015.
Incidental Take Authorization Documents:

Environmental Analyses:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/permits/incidental/research.htm#nj2015

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom