No Deco Cave Diving... worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well as far as TDI goes (who i'm intending to train with):

The major things that the DP course teaches that Intro To Caves/Full Caves don't are:

• Decompression dive planning including:
    • Decompression gas choices
    • Tables vs. personal dive computers
    • Emergency and contingency planning (equipment failure, omitted decompression, etc.)
  • Decompression diving procedures
  • Following a decompression schedule
  • Gas switching
  • SMB/lift bag deployment

• Equipment considerations, cylinder labeling, analyzing nitrox mixtures, and gas blending procedures
Gee whiz, there is hardly any difference at all!

I actually understand the OP's wife's preference to dive caves, as opposed to doing OW technical diving, because it's my own preference.

Open water has a ton of variables -- surface conditions, current, visibility -- and one big difference, which is that many technical dives in OW require you to spend prolonged periods in midwater, remaining extremely stable.

Caves? You got a bottom, and a top, and sides . . . Unless you mess it up, the water is clear, and if there is current, it is generally known beforehand and only goes one way. If you can't get into the cave, then you don't have a problem getting out of it :).

One of my all-time favorite instructors once told me that, if he had to choose one kind of diving to do for the rest of his life, it would be Mexican cave diving. I asked, "Because it's so beautiful?". And he snorted, and replied, "No, because it's so EASY."

You know several people mentioned to us the beauty and relative ease of cave diving in Mexico

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke to her about the discussions here... her response was oh so deco diving is when you have to do the extra stops etc when ascending... turns out what boulderjohn said was absolutely right... it's the fear instilled in us while open water diving she was just thinking about that...

she doesn't feel so about deco now and she did say it makes sense to know it rather than need it and NOT know what to do...

That was easy :) Now convincing her you need all that new expensive gear, that will be the tough part...

That was easy :) Now convincing her you need all that new expensive gear, that will be the tough part...

:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:... at least we're not starting from scratch... I see us needing deco/stage regs, redundant bottom timer/depth gauge... hopefully it isn't tooo bad :(

:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:... at least we're not starting from scratch... I see us needing deco/stage regs, redundant bottom timer/depth gauge... hopefully it isn't tooo bad :(

You mean: 4 Petrels, two canister lights, new BCs, new fins, new masks, a slew of backup lights, new drysuits, backup drysuits, scooters, rebreathers, regs, tanks, and boltsnaps.....right? :D

Cave diving doesn't have to be expensive....but it CAN be if you let it :wink:

---------- Post added July 8th, 2015 at 02:09 PM ----------

and its also a general pain in the ass!

the boat, the salt, the waves, the cleaning of gear afterwards, the schedule, the sitting in the sun while stewing in a plastic bag.

Ugh!

I hear ya. I'm so spoiled by cave diving nothing else sounds appealing. Even short little boat rides on clear/flat water like Coz, Cun, and Roatan sound sucky.....I'm having a hard time convincing myself of that, I can't imagine trying to talk myself into a wreck 30miles off shore in 12ft seas with 10ft of vis.

Why would i want petrels, they aren't AI :D lol...

Oh, so THAT'S how this thread is going to go....

**Searches for unsubscribe button, finds it, clicks it VERY sternly**

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom