No ditchable ballast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of renting a drysuit until you get your own, can you borrow/rent a set of aluminum doubles? Or at least a set of less negative steel tanks?

Instead of renting a drysuit until you get your own, can you borrow/rent a set of aluminum doubles? Or at least a set of less negative steel tanks?

Or I could (and maybe will) dive my singles rig [which is DIR I think, or can be] on deeper dives and dive twins on shallow dives (despite the complete contradiction that seems to present :).

Hard to get AL tanks round here, not really used by anyone.

Are SS 7's more negative than, for example, SS 12s? I guess they would be...I think....

J

I did some looking around, but couldn't find any numbers on their buoyancy in the water. I've seen a lot of comments over on the UK forums about how negative the 300 bar 7l tanks are.

That's interesting. Mine are 232s rather than 300s but they're still pretty negative. I assumed (wrongly now I'm guessing) that 12s would be more negative. Damn, wish I'd got the 12s. I keep getting slagged off for the 7s anyhow as everyone says 'you'd be better off with a single 15' entirely missing my point in getting them, being redundancy. Oh well.

Anyhow, I think this thread is probably dead now. I'm going to stick to form and listen to my instructor for the time being, as it's more convenient :D. The diving I will be doing between now and when I get a dry suit is not going to be deep or particularly challenging. Viz is so poor here that you have to stay within microns of your buddy a lot of the time. If I'm doing a deep dive I'll weigh up the risks of no redundancy and go singles, or bladder failure and heavy twins diving wet. That's essentially the question at the moment really I guess. And I've seen a lot more o-rings blow and free flows than bladders fail so that has to get factored in.

Thanks again everyone.

J

Why the reluctance to buy a drysuit but the hurry to buy heavy tanks?

No reluctance. Only financials. Water warm here now (19C) so dry suit seemed less important. If I had the cash today I'd get a dry suit today.

J

I didn't suggest I was willing to purchase a double bladder at any point. I specifically bought a single bladder to be compliant. I certainly am not willing to but a double bladder now. I did however in a later post ask why it is considered non compliant.

One reason that I recall is that if you get wing auto-inflate you have to guess which LP inflator is auto-inflating. This can lead to diving with one of them disconnected, which means the need to reconnect when you really need the other inflator/bladder. Its also another hose and another o-ring to leak.

One reason that I recall is that if you get wing auto-inflate you have to guess which LP inflator is auto-inflating. This can lead to diving with one of them disconnected, which means the need to reconnect when you really need the other inflator/bladder. Its also another hose and another o-ring to leak.

Thanks Lamont, that sounds reasonable.

My buddy did ask me a question the other day which perhaps you could shed light on.

He lives primarily in Thailand. He did his DSAT (I think) course out the earlier this year. The water is 30C (86F) +. They were diving in 3mm. He gets cold really easily so for him to do this in a 3mm means the water is seriously warm. They had double bladders.

During and after their training on dives to 75m (~250ft) and carrying several gases/bottles. He could not see any solution other than a double bladder or a dry suit to combatting the negativity at that depth with all those bottles. He felt that a dry suit would have been hell in those temperatures.

What's the DIR solution to this kind of dive? Tropical dry suit?

TIA,
J

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom