No garage, no hose. I live in apartment. Caring for equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to follow up here on a solution previously supplied:

Faucet sink faucet to hose adapter. Any guidance here on specific parts? Forgive me if this is basic, but I want to be sure to order the right size adapters for my standard apartment bathroom sink faucet and the right kind of hose length and material (not too long to maintain good pressure from a sink; not too stiff for maneuverability, right threading on both ends, etc.)

Here's the adaptors I am seeing and not sure which one I would want (or if any would work?)

Danco, Inc. 15/16"-27M / 5/64"-27F X 3/4" GHTM or 55/64"-27M CHROME MULTI THREAD GARDEN HOSE AERATOR ADAPTER Chrome - Plumbing Hoses - Amazon.com
LDR 530 2050 Faucet to Hose or Aerator Adapter Lead Free - Faucet Aerators And Adapters - Amazon.com
1 X Do it Dual Thread Faucet Adapter To Hose: Faucet Aerators And Adapters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

And hoses:

Amazon.com: Camco 22823 Premium Drinking Water Hose (5/8"ID x 10') - Lead Free: Automotive
** ^^ will this hose be too stiff?
Amazon.com: Camco 22743 TastePURE Drinking Water Hose (1/2"ID x 10') - Lead Free: Automotive
** ^^ correct threading? too stiff?
Amazon.com : Apex 887-6 5/8-Inch x 6-Feet Hose Reel Leader Hose : Garden Hose Reels : Patio, Lawn & Garden
** ^^ would a leader hose work?

My bathroom isn't huge, I think a 6-8 foot hose would work just fine. I see a few different thread size adaptors and hose sizes as well (3/4, 5/8, and 1/2).

Thanks guys!

@filmguy, I use a standard garden hose I bought at Home Depot or Lowes. They make short ones. So, whatever faucet adapter is for a standard garden hose is what I have. Are you over-thinking this?

Ha! Probably :rofl3: Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't have anything so simply labeled. With traffic and work, a trip to home depot is a PITA and amazon didn't seem to have a standard garden hose or any clearly marked adapters... I've got Leader hose, drinking hose, and a bunch of all different adapters with a lot of numbers that I'm unfamiliar with. Not sure which adapter goes with what or if one of those hoses is proper. The only "garden hose" they have on amazon was 25 feet.

So... not trying to overthink it, I literally have no idea WTH there's so many options for trying to order 2 super basic parts on amazon. Put it like this - can you tell which is the proper order when looking at those?

yeah, amazon makes my head spin. Hard to tell what's what. Unless somehow just knows what to order, I'll try and work in a trip over to Home Depot at a convenient time. Thanks guys

When you see a coil of 25 feet of garden hose at Home Depot, you will realize that length isn't as unwieldy as it sounds. If the straight-line distance from a bathroom faucet to where the gear will be rinsed is, say, six feet, then 12 feet of hose will probably allow some flexibility, and having an extra 13 feet wound in a few coils on the floor is no big deal. Cheap garden hose is all you need. It doesn't have to be FDA approved for drinking water or whatever, or withstand UV rays or harsh conditions--rinsing gear in a shower is the easiest job a garden hose will ever have.

As for the adapter, here: NEOPERL Solid-Brass Dual-Thread for 3/4 in. Hose or Male 55/64 in. Adapter-37.0109.98 - The Home Depot

I live in a house with a garage and all that jazz but I still take all my gear and put it in a big tote on my back patio/deck and fill the tote with water and add 2 caps of Listerine to the mix. Let soak for a few hours and then hang on a shower rod until it stops dripping and finally I move it to the garage for a couple of days for absolute dryness. "Garage" for you could be a closet as long as the closet has an air vent in it. After all that my gear gets moved to the guest bedroom closet that is about 6' square. That closet smells like heaven, if heaven is clean neoprene.

divers will make it work regardless...good thread.

Ok, so I've picked up a couple of those Costco bins (on sale for $6.99 each). Will drill holes in the bottom of one to allow excess to drain into the other bin. Will store gear in here after it's dry, along with a bag of desiccant (more on that in a second).

Put an additional shower rod centered over my bathtub, and went to home depot and ended up getting a shower head splitter - pull a plug, and it diverts the stream to a hose attachment. A few adaptors later, and now I've got a garden hose permanently installed to the shower head. No need to deal with swapping a sink adaptor. Just bungeed it up out of the way.

I assume between the shower hose, a couple of buckets I have laying around, and the shower rod for hang drying that should be everything I need to clean and dry gear well in the bathroom? I've got a few tower fans already, so I blow some air in there to help even out humidity.

Few questions on the desiccant that was mentioned before:

• any handling techniques for this when not in a sealed bag?
  • any problem just leaving it in the costco bin with the gear full time? How often should it need a recharge?
  • any reason to not use a bunch of smaller quarter-sized bags? Or is it necessary to buy a full 1lbs and put into a custom mesh bag?
  • I notice it costs a bit more on amazon - best to order it direct from the DrieRite site?

Desiccant. Don't overthink it. Blue is good, pink needs a recharge.

You should know that you don't even need it, but it will totally guarantee that you won't be dealing with mold or fungus the day before your next dive. Nothing more than that.

Cheap and easy insurance. Or just really dry your stuff. Either works fine.

(Where to get? -Buy from whoever is selling it the cheapest.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom