No Gloves allowed? Is that standard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraff:
Any body see where I left my chill pills?
Have you checked your save-a-dive kit? That's where I keep mine.

Sorry reefraff, that last post was meant to be humorous...thus the little winky dude.

The rule in Bonaire which was concerning the original poster has had some positive results. Bonaire has some of the best looking reefs in the Carib. and yes I've seen a lot of it. Wether it's the fact that divers are more aware about their "space" or that fewer divers are actually hitting the reef I can't say. I do know that they try to enforce their rules and something is working for them. Go to the Caymans, grab a scooter and run the reef. You can tell when your getting close to a mooring ball by the condition of the reef. Cozumel has been so beat down it doesn't even come close to what it was just 10 years ago. I have video of the same sites for about the past 15 years, pictures don't lie. Belize is holding up OK but the liveaboards are starting to show there presence on the lower end of Lighthouse reef.
To wear gloves or not, well if the rules say no gloves then it's no gloves. I like wearing gloves for all the same reasons if I have to grab something I 'd rather not get a handful of hyroids. I had to provide assistance to a lady in Cozumel who was in respratory distress, she had brushed against a rope in the water and had an allergic reaction, so there are some "stingy" things that are better left alone. In Bonaire they put up a "Diamond Reef" bouyancy challenge. The PVC hoops are now covered with hydroids, better have good bouyancy skills or you get stung. I taught a "Peak Performance bouyancy" class and used the "diamond reef". I told the students we'd find out in hurry how good they were (joking here). As far as touching the reef versus kicking Mike F is spot on (as usual) however I think it might be hard to get someone to leave their fins on shore. Absolutley any damage to the reef is wrong but kicking everybody off the reef that doesn't have the skills that some of you are expecting might not sit well with some, or alot, of locals. I think as a whole we are doing a pretty good job of protecting the reefs, sure there going to some accidental damage, and as bad as that mey be we all are going to have to live with it. We all can try to make a difference. Mike F- keep pushing for better training stds. James G. stick to your guns and be a "reef ambassador" Natasha- have you tried acrylics? - no wait that's a different thread Indigo- thanks for the Hygene tips, I usually bite my toe nails, a bad habit I picked up in the circus. -M

IndigoBlue:
Heck, dive it in a bikini if the water is warm enough!

No way man! That skinny little string would really chafe my butt!

Joe

Too kinky for me!

I have good control underwater and never touch the coral or any other sea life. However sometimes it touches me. I was diving in the Cayman Islands and was told we couldn't use gloves by our Captain. So I went diving without them for the first time. 5 minutes into the dive something stung my hand BAD. So then I am paranoid through rest of the dive it is going to happen again. Then I get to the mooring line to do my safety stop and of course there are all kinds of stingy things on the line. I saw other divers at the line and most of them had gloves on (but they hadn't had them on when they entered the water). Since then when I dive somewhere with the no glove rule I enter the water without my gloves and as soon as I am in I take them from my BCD and put them on. Then as I am removing my fins to get back on the boat I also take off the gloves. I don't feel the least bit guilty about doing it either because gloves or no gloves, I don't touch the reef. For me it gives me peace of mind knowing my hands are protected from the numerous stingy things floating and swimming in the water. It is also the reason I wear a full wet suit even in warm waters.

Drew Sailbum:
"Wearing gloves while diving or snorkeling in Cayman waters is prohibited." - Cayman Marine Law.
So, it's not against the law to touch the reef, just to wear gloves? Ridiculous. Gloves don't kill reefs, bad buoyancy, swimming skills, ignorance and stupidity kill reefs. A pair of gloves cannot jump off of a boat and damage a reef, so for the gloves to be the target of legislation is absurd.
Wear gloves of don't. What's the difference as long as you don't harm the marine environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom