No more Solo diving at Whitestar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Confused be me I am.

The few times I've been to WS all I've ever seen a majority of the time is a fluster cluck of "group" diving where everybody is everybody's buddy, but really turns out to be nobody is anybody's buddy, and just a bunch of solo divers who happen to be in a group.

So.....that's ok and not a concern. But a full cave, full trimix, rebreather diver who doesn't have a useless solo card, and has no intention of getting one, can't dive?

I think Ill just take my buisiness elsewhere and be quite happy diving Gilboa, L. Huron, L. Erie, and Florida caves.

Last edited:
But a full cave, full trimix, rebreather diver who doesn't have a useless solo card, and has no intention of getting one, can't dive?

Still working out the details on the qualifications for the "proper certification" for solo diving...and I have yet to see anyone learn full cave, full trimix or rebreather where they don't stress the importance of team diving while being able to complete the dive only if necessary on your own. The problem is not the people who are qualified to dive by themselves, the problem is people who dive alone that are not qualified. Imagine what would happen at Ginnie Springs if everyone was allowed to dive any way they wanted to... Open Water divers heading for the hinkle because they were told its cool. Ginnie would crack down hard. The park is seeing something that they deem just as dangerous and are working to do something about it. Right now that means cracking down on the rules they have. Don't have a whole bunch of knee jerk reactions over this... it is all still being worked out. My hope is that it is something we can figure out guidelines for.

Rich

.....Gilboa allows solo........
Is this true?? Do they require a solo certification? The last time that I tried was 3 yrs ago and they said solo was not allowed. I haven't been back since though I have been in the area 3 or 4 times since.

.........Imagine what would happen at Ginnie Springs if everyone was allowed to dive any way they wanted to...
Ginny does allow solo cave diving with even Basic (Intro) cave certification. They have never asked for solo certifications.

Best wishes Rich for a resolution to allowing solo diving once again. And thank-you in advance for your efforts.

Still working out the details on the qualifications for the "proper certification" for solo diving...... it is all still being worked out. My hope is that it is something we can figure out guidelines for.

Rich

I'm glad to hear this at least...

Is this true?? Do they require a solo certification? The last time that I tried was 3 yrs ago and they said solo was not allowed. I haven't been back since though I have been in the area 3 or 4 times since.

Yes, with proper certification, Gilboa allows solo diving. I just did one two fridays ago.

"Proper certification" is such a joke. That card has only been around a few years. Solo diving has been around.... since the start of diving. The problem with the cert is that now it is a requirement.

If you feel you need a card to solo, you arent ready to solo.

"Proper certification" is such a joke. That card has only been around a few years. Solo diving has been around.... since the start of diving. The problem with the cert is that now it is a requirement.

The only reason I felt I Needed the card to solo, was so that I wouldnt be prosecuted for diving solo... I was Already diving with the complete redundancy solo requires and didnt acquire any new knowledge that I hadnt already gleaned from my own readings (R.V.Maier and scubaboard posts).

Not true---I didn't "need" a solo card; I had to have it to dive solo in certain places.

Most certs. are a joke. Nitrox-advanced nitrox and decompression diving, cave, tri-mix, wreck penetration, and rescue warrant instruction; the rest can be empirically learned.

The only reason I felt I Needed the card to solo, was so that I wouldnt be prosecuted for diving solo... I was Already diving with the complete redundancy solo requires and didnt acquire any new knowledge that I hadnt already gleaned from my own readings (R.V.Maier and scubaboard posts).

Ditto for me. If I didn't get it, I couldn't do it. I thought my AOW was a waste of time and money, but I had to have it to dive the deep side of Gilboa. Most certs. are just a money making scheme for shops and instructors. You watch---PADI and SSI will start solo because they don't want to lose the market that SDI now has a monopoly on.

Confused be me I am.

The few times I've been to WS all I've ever seen a majority of the time is a fluster cluck of "group" diving where everybody is everybody's buddy, but really turns out to be nobody is anybody's buddy, and just a bunch of solo divers who happen to be in a group.

So.....that's ok and not a concern. But a full cave, full trimix, rebreather diver who doesn't have a useless solo card, and has no intention of getting one, can't dive?

I think Ill just take my buisiness elsewhere and be quite happy diving Gilboa, L. Huron, L. Erie, and Florida caves.

Obviously a solo card is required strictly for liability reasons. Rich knows who's qualified and who isn't but he isn't at the quarry 24/7 to interview every diver headed into the water. White Star is unique in that it is publicly owned. The folks at the Sandusky County Park District, who operate the park, are good people but I'm sure they're covering their asses since this park is owned by the people of Sandusky County. They have quite a few people to answer to if something goes wrong.

I'm more than willing to give Rich time to get this straightened out. He's done a great job since he's taken over the scuba concession. Hell, at least you can get fills there now.

The moment you have been waiting for is here. There are now clarifications. For the record, the park will not be changing any of the literature, envelopes, guidelines etc that they currently have and solo diving will not be allowed WITHOUT THE PROPER CERTIFICATION AND ADHERENCE TO THE GUIDELINES listed below. As with any negotiation or compromise there are things you will like and things you won't. If you aren't certified and equipped properly, do us a favor and don't dive solo. If there is a problem, even if it is just someone getting lippy with a ranger, they can pull the plug... remember, their quarry, their rules. For the foreseable future, here are the guidelines that will keep you from getting in trouble should you be caught solo diving at White Star.

1.) You must be certified for self sufficiency. Accepted Certifications Certifications include, Solo Diver, Instructor, Trimix Diver, Extended Range Diver, Tec Deep Diver, Tec 40 Diver, Tec 50 Diver, Dive Con and Divemaster.

2.) Diver must have two regulator systems and air sources that they can breath from including but not limited to; Double tanks, a pony bottle, or a stage/decompression bottle.

3.) In the dashboard window with their park permit they must display their certification card showing a proper certification to dive solo and an emergency contact number.

4.) According to all solo diving guidelines and training (that I have read.) The diver diving on his/her own must have called a responsible individual to check in upon entering the water with the expected duration of the dive. This person should be the emergency contact number on the dashboard allowing the ranger to check if that diver is overdue with a phone call. It is the solo divers responsibility to call this person and check in upon exiting the water.

5.) In leiu of the above, A responsible solo diver can also have a responsible individual waiting on the surface with the expected duration of the dive and a means to contact emergency personnel if the diver is overdue.

6.) The precident for diving as a buddy team and intending to dive as a buddy team, but becoming separated while diving WILL NOT BE AN EXCUSE FOR SOLO ACTIVITIES. It is recommended that should you become separated from your buddy, you should search for no more than one minute and then surface to reunite. It is also a common practice for buddies to separate at the end of a dive if both are on the safety stop and one wishes to do a longer safety stop then the buddy. The surfacing buddy should wait for the buddy finishing the safety stop at the surface and the buddies should exit the water together.

These guidelines have been signed off on and have been distributed to the rangers. If you are one of those divers that want to dive by yourself, follow these rules. If you don't the privelege will be taken away from all of us. If you have questions post them here for everyone to see so that I may respond to them.

Hope this makes most of you solo guys and gals happpy. I thought the compromise was fair.

Thanks for your support of White Star. Hope to see you at the Shipwrecks and Scuba festivities in a couple of weeks.

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom