NE Wreck diver meets "high-ender" solo diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//...I'm still confused. You took the class because you didn't want to change your gear to do a DIR course . . . and the first thing Steve did was change your gear to "standard Florida cave diving rig". Of course, I'm fine with that, because that gear is popular because it works, but I'm still confused as to why you think a DIR class would have been a disaster, when this one was fine. I'm really not being oppositional -- I'm curious and confused....//...

Lynne,

Fair questions.

***I signed on just to get a solo pass to the local quarry*** (and maybe get a chance to gain something more from a spectacular instructor.)

Once I started the class I realized that I was involved in something quite unusual. I immediately realized that my chances of passing were low, so my new choices were either tuck tail or fight like a demon.

Choosing "fight like a demon", I figured that I could at least get my rig squared away. This indeed, did happen. BTW, I also met some fabulous people along the way.

DIR (GUE) is just another agency, sorry. The same skills can be had by other means. Even though I have no real issue with DIR or GUE, my local DIR guru is a non-starter for me. I choose instructors carefully. I contend that my path remains valid (for me). Prove me wrong.

No offense,
Dennis

Lynne,
I think the point here is that gear and skills can be/look and function the same without being a gue/utd practitioner. It matters not where you get the higher education as long as you get the correct higher education to take you where you want to go. If you strip away the recent push to make everyone and everything "tech" the real path to tech is still about: skills,gear,technique,practice,execution and a real pass or fail measure regardless of who is doing the measuring.
In todays world of lowered expectations and standards in real life, it should be expected that it would extend to hobbies. I have a freind who is currently shopping an/dp based on price and expediancy not content and value, nufff said
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom