no safety stop after 53' dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks-I did not know that. Usually I just make the DM pull me out of the water after a dive...isn't that we tip them for?:D

Many cave divers advocate what they call a surface stop, a period of calm inactivity on the surface after the ascent. In my training, we did it for 10 minutes after each dive, not 1. We were sitting on steps leading into the water.

I can't debate rathe rit is needed or not but I try to stay in the water as long as possible. I'll usually hang on the anchor line about 20 feet above the wreck just looking, then I ascend to my safety stop-usually 5 or 10 minutes, then I hit the surface.

The charters preach back tot he boat with no less then 500 psi. I believe in don't get out (if possible) with more then 600 psi.

Something I've seen suggested, and makes sense. You are more suspectable to bubbling when first on the surface and with exercise, so avoid the two together for a minute after surfacing.

Hmm, makes sense. I'll keep this in mind. I quite often end by starting a lengthy surface swim, followed by hauling gear uphill to the parking lot at the dive site -- maybe not the greatest idea. I assume this isn't always possible, though -- for example, when there's a strong surface current running and you need to get onto a boat.

Many cave divers advocate what they call a surface stop, a period of calm inactivity on the surface after the ascent. In my training, we did it for 10 minutes after each dive, not 1. We were sitting on steps leading into the water.

Those cave divers are typically walking up steps with 125+ lbs of gear ... which is a bit more strenuous than getting on a boat in a singles rig with an AL80 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Today was my 6th open water dive. Five divers following DM. MY friend goes thru air much faster than I do so DM took her back to the line so she could ascend. We stayed down a bit longer looking at turtles.

DM was leading thru a narrow passage, I was not comfortable with this, so I attempted to follow 10' above. Thought I was hovering just about them when I realized I had gently surfaced! I am concerned because I didn't do the safety stop at 15'. I was breathing the entire way up.

This was the last dive of the day. I stayed in the water for 5 minutes before climbing onto the boat platform. Should I be concerned about the lack of stopping for 3 minutes at 15'?

It's been 5 hours since & I feel fine.
Thank you for your help!

The amount of exposure (or put a different way, amount of inert gas that dissolves in your tissues) you have usually is a function of depth and time. Meaning, the more of one or the other or both, the more exposure. That's why when you look at dive tables, you get less NDL time the deeper you go (or more the shallower you go). The amount of inert gas in your breathing mix also plays a big role. I suspect you were breathing air which is comprised of 79% nitrogen. Others use breathing gases with reduced nitrogen. For example, I use Ean32 quite a bit. This breathing gas has 68% nitrogen. Less inert gas means less inert gas loading for the same dive as compared with air.

Anyway, if you spent the bulk of your time shallow and you were there for a short amount of time only, you have very minimal exposure. If you spent the bulk of your time deep and you spent a lot of time there, you have comparatively more exposure. Your dive tables give you an idea of where the boundaries are in terms of depth and time at that depth before your exposure gets beyond the scope of recreational diving. Or put another way, your dive tables give you an idea of when your optional safety stop is becoming more like a mandatory deco stop.

In my open water certification training, I was taught that all recreational dives by definition do not have mandatory decompression stops. It is recommended that divers perform safety stops but that safety stops are optional. What is expected is that the ascent to the surface is performed in slow and deliberate way. Slow being 30ft (or less) per minute.

You did not share much in terms of details of the dive profile. For example, you mentioned 53ft but you did not mention how long you were there for. You also mentioned that you tried to follow the DM at 10ft but wound up at the surface inadvertently. What depth were you at for the 5 minutes prior to surfacing?

Based on what little detail I can see, I would guess that the amount of exposure on this dive was incredibly minimal. I would even go as far as to say that if you got bent from this dive, I would suspect other causes than missing an optional safety stop.

---------- Post Merged at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Dive computers are conservative- some are more aggressive than others. If you own a more 'aggressive' computer, again safety stops become a bit more important.

Is that true? Every time I talk to the dive shop about computers, they always tell me that computers give you more bottom time. I think what is implied in that statement is that computers don't have the "round up" approach that divers are taught to use when using dive tables. It seems to me that computers are less conservative than a diver who plans their dive using dive tables.

A missed safety stop can be 'fixed'. You can descend immediately (air supply and conditions permitting) and complete your safety stop. Bubble formation tends to occur around 15mins after surfacing.

Why does a missed safety stop need to be fixed?

---------- Post Merged at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:27 PM ----------

And if this a necessary part of one's decompression strategy (waiting 10 minutes at the surface before undergoing strenuous activity), then you are hosed as an ocean boat diver.

Is that true? Every time I talk to the dive shop about computers, they always tell me that computers give you more bottom time. I think what is implied in that statement is that computers don't have the "round up" approach that divers are taught to use when using dive tables. It seems to me that computers are less conservative than a diver who plans their dive using dive tables.

Right. Computers vary according to how conservative. Tables are based on square profiles and you count your entire bottom time as if you were always at your max depth. Even if you basically are, you are not going to be right on the bottom always (2-3 feet above it most of the time). Thus there is a little conservatism already, even if you don't spend a chunk of time 20' shallower or so. Problem with tables of course is what do you do if you only spend a little time at max depth? Swimming around and gradually up on a wreck would be a good example. Tables IMO are great for actual square profiles. You always have to remember though with a computer, when it says 30 mins. bottom time remaining it means just that-- no rounding off for extra safety. When relying on my computer I tend to be a little more conservative than with the tables, depth gauge and watch.

This is very important. Do not ascend by adding air to your BCD! snip,... snip,...

Right, I'm aware of this but I was lazy (and complacent, too). I gave the inflator just a quick squeeze to add a minimal amount of air and kicked a little bit (I forgot about the time lag after doing this). The slow ascent was very subtle until I felt my ears clear. Gotta keep looking at that depth gauge and hold on to my inflator hose next time, ready to pull immediately.

Now I didn't know about that "1 minute float benefit" although I believe that I've done it over the years intuitively just as a means of relaxing--you learn something here every day. I will definitely keep this discussion in mind.

And if this a necessary part of one's decompression strategy (waiting 10 minutes at the surface before undergoing strenuous activity), then you are hosed as an ocean boat diver.

My impression of boulderjohn's post was that the necessary deco stops were done. This second safety stop (at the surface) is not required but it certainly won't hurt. Think of it as a "best practice."

This is the first I've heard of a safety stop on the surface.

This is the first I've heard of a safety stop on the surface.

Resting at the surface is sometimes called "the second safety stop" but that is tongue-in-cheek, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom