Non Diving DCS Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never heard of a death, but have heard of high-altitude pilots getting bent.

I had an interesting conversation with someone who consults with both the Pentagon and with NASA on DCS. He said he believed that despite all the is done (like pre-breathing oxygen), pretty much all astronauts and U2 pilots get at least subclinical DCS. He said that on all the space shuttle missions, the shuttles took large bottles of Tylenol, and not a single pill has ever returned.

yeah they mention no oxygen delivery in the air or immediately afterwards? You would think...?

Depending on altitude, they may have had to be on oxygen according to procedure, and therefore not thought important enough to mention. Or the reporter doesn't know enough to ask, so it wasn't in the article.

It makes sense. I never thought about DCS on land I guess bc you'd not be breathing compressed air [normally]

It makes sense. I never thought about DCS on land I guess bc you'd not be breathing compressed air [normally]
Compared to the air at altitude, the air at sea level is compressed. Going rapidly from sea level to very high altitude is the same as going from deep water to the surface rapidly.

Found this interesting, never heard of a non diving DCS death

That was a very interesting article , that will be a crazy debriefing .....

I have had a few Iatrogenic gas bubble patients in my time from failed bubble studies, KD issues and cardiac cath issues.

In my industry I have also had past fellow professional from a different facility leave the the job drive to altitude for a party and not wake up the next day found to have gas issues., not diving in water per se but working in hyperbaric environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom