Non - Mustache Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normally I shave only twice a week. While I do prefer to be cleanly shaven when diving, I've done a few dives when I wasn't. No big deal, clearing the mask is routine anyway. The most annoying part is that because I have prescription glasses in my mask, even the smallest amout of water forms a nice little (or big) bead that rolls around the concave inner surface of my glasses right in the center of my field of vision when looking straight down. I guess I have to clear my mask more often than other people do because of this. But like I said, no big deal even if I have to do it every couple of minutes or so.

Isn't Vaseline damaging to silicon masks...?
I'm a female, but several of my male buddies use the silicon grease. Innovative Scuba has a small jar (lid is about the size of a quarter) that is a handy size for your gear bag.
I keep one is each mask box. One smear seems to last 2 or 3 dives. I refill the little ones from a big one as needed.

I'll shave day of dive. If on diving holiday will shave usually every 2-3 days any longer and my masks leaks too much to be fun.

Simple shore dive within maybe 30 minutes of home: Just shave electric razor at normal time when I get up (10:30 A.M. or so).
Longer drive and (especially) early A.M. charter: Wet shave night before and that lasts next day just as well as the same day electric.

Now if you want shaving advice, nothing beats a brush, cup, and shaving soap. The trick is to wash face well first, or at least let the warm, wet soap set for a minute. I've been using the same metal cup since 1976 - a commenerative cup with the year on it.

I just trim the part directly under my nose, that my mask seals on. So I kind of look like someone trying to have precision facial hair. I do not have to worry about smearing anything there, and still get to keep the great benefits that my mustache provides

Grows back fast, so I am back to my normal self within a week of diving. I also bought my mask on the recommendation of my LDS as the mustache model, it is a standard Bare frameless

I find I don't have a lot of leaking with stubble, but I do get irritated from the mask moving the hair back and forth. I will either shave properly or grow a full mustache but stubble is awful.

isn't it bad for the silicone skirt of the mask?
That's what I said above.

Back
Top Bottom