Noob Apeks 2nd stage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I have what I think is a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find an answer using searches. I just bought an Apeks ATX200 reg and need to buy an backup 2nd stage for it. Is there such a thing as an ATX200 2nd stage/octo? The highest numbered 2nd stage that I see sold separately is the ATX50, and it appears to be have the same features as the 2nd stage on my ATX200. is this just a numbering/nomenclature game, or is there a difference between the 2nd stage on my ATX200 and the ATX50 2nd stage that's sold separately? If so, should I seek out another ATX200 2nd stage? My setup will be DIR-style, with the backup on a bungee around my neck so for selfish reasons I'd like my backup to breath as well as the primary :wink: Also, I'd like the backup to be black instead of yellow, since I don't want someone that's OOA to be grabbing for the big yellow thing bungeed around my neck.

Thanks,
John

yes, the ATX200 is a second stage, the top of the line second for Apeks at
the moment (i guess except for the Black Pearl)

i have heard that the ATX50 is just as good and a lot cheaper.

As others have said the ATX50 and higher second stages are functionally the same, the only differences are entirely cosmetic, namely the different face plates. If you want a black one just ask your dealer to get you one. If they only have yellow ones they may need to order one for you. If you are buying one from an online retailer that does not get this simple concept I would press the point.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom