North Carolina this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some of us were down at Hatteras and did the Proteous with Lynnhaven dive center (www.ldcscuba.com). Thats probably a bit of a trek from Wilmington.

I thought it was one of the coolest dives I've done to date but... I haven't been diving for all that long!

Some people say that NC wreck diving is the best in the world if not the best in North America. The gulf stream warms up the water, it is not usual to have 100 foot visibility and the wrecks are teaming with life. If it wasn’t a seven and a half hour drive I’d be there every weekend. The problem is that the weather is unpredictable especially this time of year, dives are often “blown out,” which is frustrating after a seven hour drive. Since you are going to be right there, go for it!

A little closer to Wilmington than Hatteras is Morehead City and Olympus http://www.olympusdiving.com/ which I highly recommend. I’ve seen others that go on the dives without a buddy and are matched up so I wouldn’t let the lack of a buddy hold me back.

I have also heard that there is some great diving out of Wilmington but since it’s another two hours from here I’ve never been there, maybe some of the divers from North Carolina can let you know of a good operator there.

I was down about 2 months ago and loved it. Did the Hyde and the Markham, 8 mile reef, some lame inshore wreck with 10 feet of vis and 2 dives from olympus on the first day (forget which they were) but 1 was excellent and the other not so good.

It is very nice down there for sure. Just curious what it is like at this time of year - since i'll only be down for a few days, seeing if its worth it to bring down all the dive toys for a weekend that might have odds of blowing out. These are the questions...

steve

Wilmington is pretty good diving, as is Carolina Beach - right near it. I went out of both this season. We did the City of Houston, the Frying Pan Light Tower, the Cassimir, the Hyde, and 28 mile ledge. All were nice dives and conditions were good.

Seas were pretty snotty in Wilmington..we went out with Aquatic Safaris (about a 30' boat - http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/) and were in 5-6 foot seas. Our first dive went off ok, but the captain called it during the SI and we got beat up heading back in (the kind of beat up where you have to wear your mask on deck so you can keep your eyes open from the waves washing over the deck and hitting you...lots of puking too).

In Carolina Beach we went out with Seaduced on the SpearIt, which was a 25' six pack with twin 400 HP outboards. That little sucker made about 28 kts and we were on the City of Houston in about an hour and fifteen minutes (that is like 40-50 miles offshore).

As far as the Liberty Ship, I think that was a type of transport boat. I bet they are referring to the Ramsey. I have not been on it, but it is an inshore artificial reef...so it will be good, but not great (isn't any diving good? :) ).

Good luck! You will have a great time...here's a source for shipwreck info:

http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/shipwrecks.html

Liberty Ship is the term for any boat that transported arms and war materiel to England before the US formally entered the war in 1941. The Allies were so ill prepared for war production that we sent whatever spare equipment we could to England, so the boats that went down typically have military cargo. The situation was so desperate that at one time, gun shops had collection baskets so Joe Average Citizen could donate small arms from his personal collection.

OK, talk of trips to NC clinches it: ordering thick neoprene *now*.

The liberty ship is fairly close inshore so vis will not be anywhere near the offshore stuff. The temps are fairly warm even during winter comparatively. I think the Olympus site has the general water temps, Wilmington would be very similar.

The conditions change rapidly, one of the reasons there are so many wrecks out there. Hyde and Markham are good dives, lots of life, not too far out, 1.5 hours or so.

I have been out with Seaduced n sea and aquatic safaris.

Tommy

Check out www.outerbanksdiving.com John and Amy located on Hatteras Isle do a good job. Dove the wreck Dixie Arrow with them this past fall and had the best time. A large Sand Tiger Shark hangs on the wreck and was pretty spectacular also. Water temp at 90ft. 80 degrees, vis 100ft. Dive was much mucm better than I expected.

Ouch wetman you pick heck weekend to go diving, Nc had a snowstorm this week and visibility will be close to nil!!
Other than ones most all ready stated are the most reliable good luck!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom