Northern CA lake dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only dove Folsom Lake and the California side of Lake Tahoe. Folsom's visibility is anywhere from 4'-20' depending what time of the year and what part of the lake you dive. I usually try and get a couple of dives a week out there when I have a buddy who can make out with me. There are alot of fish, namely bass, catfish, perch and some others I've seen. There are also alot of tree stumps sunglasses, and stuff the pigs on the boats let fall overboard and to the bottom. The temp right now is around 70 degrees and the lake is almost to it's lowest level. The best time to dive Folsom (in my opinion) is in the summer when all the snow has melted and the lake is at it's highest level.

Tahoe on the other hand is gorgeous. We had almost 100' of vis. a couple of weeks ago at Meek's Bay. We had to swim out about 100 or so yards and then it sloped off at about a 45 degree angle. We stopped our descent down the slope at around 100' and the slope just kept on going as far as we could see down. We found a nice little speed boat at around 90' and alot of other debris that has collected over the years. The lake temperature in Tahoe is from around 50' (at depth) up to around the upper 60's. If you want better particulars on Tahoe Atticus is the man to talk to. He dives all over Tahoe, and does alot more deeper stuff.

I'm hoping to get out and dive some other lake around California just a soon as I can get the time. When I do I'll post some more onfo for you. I hope that helps.

I have been to San Antonio Lake near King City. Not very clear, but very calm, and good for practicing blacked-out conditions with zero vis.

If you want clear vis, Tahoe is probably your best bet. However you need a dive computer that you can adjust for high altitude, or else you need to determine equivalent depths.

Have you ever dove the old sunken railroad at Folsom. I understand that its on the Sacramento part of the lake and fairly deep?

boomx5 once bubbled...
I have only dove Folsom Lake and the California side of Lake Tahoe. Folsom's visibility is anywhere from 4'-20' depending what time of the year and what part of the lake you dive. I usually try and get a couple of dives a week out there when I have a buddy who can make out with me. There are alot of fish, namely bass, catfish, perch and some others I've seen. There are also alot of tree stumps sunglasses, and stuff the pigs on the boats let fall overboard and to the bottom. The temp right now is around 70 degrees and the lake is almost to it's lowest level. The best time to dive Folsom (in my opinion) is in the summer when all the snow has melted and the lake is at it's highest level.

Tahoe on the other hand is gorgeous. We had almost 100' of vis. a couple of weeks ago at Meek's Bay. We had to swim out about 100 or so yards and then it sloped off at about a 45 degree angle. We stopped our descent down the slope at around 100' and the slope just kept on going as far as we could see down. We found a nice little speed boat at around 90' and alot of other debris that has collected over the years. The lake temperature in Tahoe is from around 50' (at depth) up to around the upper 60's. If you want better particulars on Tahoe Atticus is the man to talk to. He dives all over Tahoe, and does alot more deeper stuff.

I'm hoping to get out and dive some other lake around California just a soon as I can get the time. When I do I'll post some more onfo for you. I hope that helps.

My dive buddy asked me if I would be interested in doing the Livermore quarry I think it's called Del Valle.
It's off of Stanley Blvd.
Any of you ever dive that?

I just called the LDS (Captain Aqua's) and was informed that Del Valle was off limits and Shadow Cliff (the quarry off Stanley Blv. which I got mixed up with Del Valle) is only open to instructors with students,but I'm going to be in that neighborhood on Sunday and I'll see if I can get first hand info.
mech

Back
Top Bottom