Northern Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You bunch of crazies probably should consider going to Mackinaw to dive. At the very northern tip of the lower pennisula of Michigan. Great wreck diving there (everyone tells me) but there are other areas to dive as well, where the vis is good and the water isn't 'quite' so darn cold. Capt. Gary of Rec and Tec Charters in Port Sanilac is very good with a nice sized boat and access to LOTS of good wrecks and is just an hours drive north of Detroit in Lake Huron. Diving is also very good in Thunder Bay, off Alpena with the skipper up there. Great thing about diving wrecks in fresh water is the wrecks don't deteriorate too fast. I have been on several wooden wrecks in the Great Lakes that are well over 100 years old, and still in very good shape. Diving is August is good in the mornings, but tends to get a bit bumpy in the afternoons as that's when the thunderboomers generate and tend to blow through.

Lots of info available on the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew board about the wrecks around here, and if I haven't moved to Florida by then, I'd be happy to help setup and plan a trip by you southern types.

Quarrior:
I don't know. Looking at Ben's picture, that hairline seems to be working it's way back, at least on the sides. Won't be long before he catches up with the rest of us. :eyebrow:
Yeah... keep flappin' them gums

OneBrightGator:
What would you prefer, i come at you with innocent jibes, or a pair of scissors??? :wink:

Either is fine with me, you just need to decide wether you want innocent jibes back or a pair of scissors stuck in your ear. :D

Lets hope the colder water doesnt hold as much bacteria as the springs seem to have - that's twice now after diving post-hurricane blow out that i have caught something. If you come at my ears with the scissors, maybe you can sort out this problem if the ENT cant tomorrow morning :wink:

OneBrightGator:
What type of diving? Driving or Flying? I have family in Ohio, so...

Definitely need a drysuit between now and then...

I would plan to just drive up.

Quarrior:
Is this limited strictly to people from FL? I'd love to do some wreck dives in the Lakes. Of course, I'd need to get my cert first. :D I already have my Advanced Nitrox and Deco planned out for the spring.

Nope come one come all

So you're planning on this being a week long (or extremely long weekend) kind of thing? Is is American side or Canuck side of the lakes?

OneBrightGator:

Hey Ben why is everyone commenting on your hair? (myself included)

Don't worry about that hair line moving backwards.
For your info after my service time I tried to grow mine back that long but it drove me nuts

GDI:
Would any of you brave hearted Floridian Divers be interested in making a trip to the Great Lakes this coming year, Let us say about the August time frame?

Can you guarantee water no colder than 72 degrees F on this trip? :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom