Northern Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI:
A good week long and both sides of the 49th
I'll have to stick south of that little line :wink: Maybe i'll fly in to get max effect of a long weekend or something! That way i can do the diving and not have to worry about too much time off work, or of course in the case of Canada - not being to get back to this country to work :wink:

If you are planning for Aug., I'd suggest the St. Lawrence Seaway. The surface water draining off the other lakes keeps the water somewhere in the 70's, top to bottom about that time of year. Without question, some of the best wreck diving I've done. Old wooden wrecks from the 1800's - newer steel ships. Depths from 25'- 130+. Depending on the wreck, you can expect good current on some of the dives. Just my 2 cents worth

dutchfin:
If you are planning for Aug., I'd suggest the St. Lawrence Seaway. The surface water draining off the other lakes keeps the water somewhere in the 70's, top to bottom about that time of year. Without question, some of the best wreck diving I've done. Old wooden wrecks from the 1800's - newer steel ships. Depths from 25'- 130+. Depending on the wreck, you can expect good current on some of the dives. Just my 2 cents worth
Yeh I was thinking more of the Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence Seaway possibly even Fathom Five

Another plus with the " Seaway " is the oppurtunity to do some shore diving too. Makes for a nice few days of diving. I'll definately mark my calender if it looks like that's the way ppl are thinking of going.

StarrySkies:
Can you guarantee water no colder than 72 degrees F on this trip? :wink:
Hey Guys&Gals,
Just a great link from my side of Lake Michigan,Will post a link for North Michigan also,If any one is up this way or plans to be in the area hit me up! Have boat 4-down one topside,for local wrecks from Milwaukee to DoorCounty,We have some Great dive shops-A few but good,unlike yours on every block!And can set you up with gas to suits.
Yep Its CooooooooL,But the wrecks are too!The Schooners,The Steamers from the 1800's-1900's are just great dives!The vis well it changes but can be Great if the winds lay down,My last dive In LakeMichigan in October We had top to bottom vis at a Wreck in 55'-65' We ran the dive tables that day!
And wait till you meet your first Laywer on a wreck! You will have to dive up in the Great lakes to find this one out! They are Ugly & We eat them!
Brad
www.maritimetrails.org/visit.cfm
www.greatlakesunderwater.com

Did any more concrete plans come about? I know its still 4-5 months away, but i like to budget my vacation time and finances a bit :wink:

So, anything going on with this? I am planning on diving Lake Erie the end of July.

Man when the dog days hit you down in Florida come up north and do some dives with us! The Welcome mat is always out,Many of the best shipwrecks lay in LakeMichigan,Including 3 of the top 100 in the Great Lakes,Now thats cool!! but leave the 3mm at home,pack your dry suits! Hate to see a froze conch!
You all rock!Dive safe and hope to see some of you again,north or south.
Brad

GDI:
Yeh I was thinking more of the Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence Seaway possibly even Fathom Five

Hey man, Great Lakes diving is a unique and rewarding exerience. Fathom Five in Tobermory is a popular location for a weekend trip, but it can be extremely busy in the summer months. You should check out Kingston ON at the eastern end of Lake Ontario. It is not a marine park, but they have enough wrecks close at hand to make the trip worth while. If you are looking at diving the St Lawrence seaway, Brockville ON is another popular location.

Pack your woolies or a 7mm wetsuit and you'll be fine. The water is brisk and refreshing ... but will never be mistaken for Florida.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom