not dive related: A question about Cell Phones in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubavili

Reaction score
Like mentioned on my previous posts, my wife and I are coming to CA for a six week vacation from Finland. I think keeping in contact with local divers would be a lot easier if I had a cell phone at my disposal during my stay. My finnish cell phone will not work in USA.

What would be the best way for me to get a hold of a cell phone in USA? Do you have ultracheap phones with built in phone time in them? Is 6 weeks too short a time to aquire a cell phone within a reason? What do you recommend for me.....a pay phone?

They have the kind of cell phone that you pay as you go along, run down your minutes buy a new card type of deal.

Here is one example

You should be able to walk into almost any convenience store and buy one off the rack.

in the US, you can either

1.) Sign up for a long term plan (typically 1 or 2 years)
2.) Buy a "pre paid" cell phone with X number minutes. You pay so much for the phone up front (like $20-$50 I think) and it comes with so many minutes (200 for example). Then you pay to "refill" the minutes either through purchasing a minute card or calling their service center with your credit card. The minute card is popular becuase it's less tracable than a credit card, for those who are concerned about that.

renting phones in the US I've hardly ever seen like you can do in other countries. Maybe this is an option in some bigger city hotels though.

the phones you can buy off the rack are called "go phones" they range in about 20-150 dollars, when you buy them from the store you get a certain amount of minutes and you can keep buying minutes if you want and you can keep it till the next time you visit.

Evil :bgmad:

Do you have a cell phone at home? Most companies have a plan that you can use for international travel.

dpbishop:
Do you have a cell phone at home? Most companies have a plan that you can use for international travel.

Actually that might work for you. Most European phones are GSM and have a SIM card. Companies like T-Mobile are GSM and I think use a SIM card. You could insert your SIM card into a T-mobile phone perhaps? just an option to look into.

some of the more global providers; like AT&T will send you a SIM card to use while overseas. But charges could be more for phone calls/minutes, etc.

I'd just pick up the cheapest pre-paid/go phone, then if it gets wet, you lose it or drop it off the Dumbo ride at Disneyland, it's not a big deal.

Garrett

evilbacon:
the phones you can buy off the rack are called "go phones" they range in about 20-150 dollars, when you buy them from the store you get a certain amount of minutes and you can keep buying minutes if you want and you can keep it till the next time you visit.

Evil :bgmad:

When its time to come back to Finland after 6 weeks, does the phone I bought off the rack have any value? Or do I just throw it in the trash can? Do retailers recycle them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom