Not sure where to ask: Las Vegas/Lake Mead diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be up there Oct 9-12. If you decide to haul your gear, let me know. We'll probably be doing a dive or 2 at mead on the 11th.

My wife is dragging me to Vegas for Christmas to visit her family. I will be there for 2 weeks and was hoping to get a dive in. my problem is that I have a non-diving wife who is apart of a non-diving family. I was thinking of taking a class or something instead of worrying about a diving partner. Is it really that big a waste of time? I’ve only been diving along the Florida Gulf Coast and was hoping to see something different. I understand it’s going to be quite cold in December so should I just scrap the whole idea or buy a 7mm suit and go anyway?

Going to Mead isn't really worth it. It will probably even be difficult to find a shop or instructor in the area that will do a class that's worth it. It you can make it down to Lake Mohave, about 2 hours away, that is worth it. Of course, it doesn't compare to Florida diving. If you're going to buy a 7mm just to dive Mead or Mohave, I probably wouldn't bother. If you need an excuse to buy a 7mm, then this is your chance. Go to the Dive Sites page of my website for more information about both lakes and some dive reports. I'll be posting some more dive reports in a couple of weeks.

I've been on that site before. Funny thing is that I've only ever seen private classes with 1-2 students going on at the lake. I also haven't seen any dive boats out on the lake. I couldn't find their schedule in the Henderson Happenings newsletter. Even their dive conditions report hasn't been updated since July. Also, Lake Mead is far from being "one of the top five fresh water dive destinations in the United States". I've been to a few of the fresh water dive destinations. I wouldn't even put Mead in the top ten.

They may have a good operation. I haven't dealt with them directly to know one way or another. I have been to a couple of shops in Vegas and the one in Boulder City. The Boulder City shop is the only one that offers hydrocarbon-free air fills and nitrox. It's also the closest to the lake. None of the shops seemed to know much about current diving conditions in the lake. I think they all go elsewhere to dive. Even with the conditions the way they are, if I lived 1/2 hour from there, I'd dive there a lot.

Don't always believe what you read on the 'net. I found a website with a long list of dive sites for Lake Havasu. The site belonged to one of the local shops (not Joel's). We headed out to Lake Havasu and couldn't find any of the sites they detailed. Some of the sites were supposed to be 80+ feet deep. Well, we bought a depth map for the lake and found out the deepest it gets is 40 feet. We also asked Joel (TDL) about diving in the lake and got the real story. In other words, I'm not trying to keep you from diving the lake. I'm just trying to keep your expectations of the lake real.

I am very thankful for your thoughts on this dive site. I was ready to drop good money on this dive trip just to see something else, now I think I’ll skip it and save the hassle. Thanks.

Anytime. We've seen too many shops that try to sell diving. What they don't understand is that diving sells itself. Be honest and the divers will come. :D

BTW, another thing the site doesn't mention is that the water level at Lake Mead is about 110 feet below full! You can hike to a few of the sites they mention!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom