Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I wear the long hose on a necklace and breathe the short hose. Just because.

Interesting! How do you donate? Do you have to remove the primary from your own mouth, or do you have a breakaway connection on the necklace (or something else I'm missing completely)?

One of those Miflex hoses is in the mail on it's way to me right now. But it's only 30" long. Same as stock. The only reason I ordered it is because they're supposed to be more flexible, and the hose that came on my Mares Abyss is very stiff.
But hey! It's only money right??
Anyway, I'm headed for the Keys in a couple weeks, and I'm not changing my rig now. I'll work on that later. I COULD buy a bunch of new stuff now, but I have a wife, and...
Funny thing. It was HER idea to go to the Keys, but she said, "we're not making this trip all about diving".
HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Go to the Keys without diving...HAHA, she kills me sometimes.

*facepalm*

I was just picturing Rhone man laughing into his short hose while some poor guy is tugging on his necklace.
:rofl3:

One point no one has mentioned yet is that anyone diving should be diving within their training. If someone hasn't been trained with a long hose, they should receive training before beginning to use it.

I know, this sounds like a "one more excuse for training dollars", but when you start changing gear set-ups, it sure seems logical to go to people who already use the setup you are considering and get some training about using that setup.

Also for consideration, I personally would want my buddy diving a similar setup as me. That way, the possibilities for human complications underwater are minimalized.

Thus, if you'd like to try long hose diving, go talk with folks who do it and get some practice using it under supervision before trying it out on your own. :D

One point no one has mentioned yet is that anyone diving should be diving within their training. If someone hasn't been trained with a long hose, they should receive training before beginning to use it.

I know, this sounds like a "one more excuse for training dollars", but when you start changing gear set-ups, it sure seems logical to go to people who already use the setup you are considering and get some training about using that setup.

Also for consideration, I personally would want my buddy diving a similar setup as me. That way, the possibilities for human complications underwater are minimalized.

Thus, if you'd like to try long hose diving, go talk with folks who do it and get some practice using it under supervision before trying it out on your own. :D

A good diver will practice with their gear ALL THE TIME.

A good diver will constantly strive to learn new things all their life. Continued formal training is certainly a method to accomplish this, but please don't think it is the only method. The "Dive Within Your Training Mantra" can be over used.

One of those Miflex hoses is in the mail on it's way to me right now. But it's only 30" long. Same as stock. The only reason I ordered it is because they're supposed to be more flexible, and the hose that came on my Mares Abyss is very stiff.
But hey! It's only money right??
Anyway, I'm headed for the Keys in a couple weeks, and I'm not changing my rig now. I'll work on that later. I COULD buy a bunch of new stuff now, but I have a wife, and...
Funny thing. It was HER idea to go to the Keys, but she said, "we're not making this trip all about diving".
HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Go to the Keys without diving...HAHA, she kills me sometimes.

I believe that the "standard" length, over the shoulder is 24 inches. The "standard" length under the shoulder is 36 to 40 inches.

A 30 inch hose over the shoulder will have a large loop and under the shoulder it will be short and tug at your mouth.

Not sold on the Miflex thing yet.

N

I was diving with a buddy who tucked his longhose into a bungee on his tank.... I told him lets go down and do an S-Drill he said "will you help me tuck it back into the tank when we're done".... I got out of the water!

Back
Top Bottom