Not understanding the short hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Each to his/her own, and I haven’t seen the need to switch over to a long hose. I don’t do cave or wreck penetration dives and carry a pony that I can donate to my buddy - if that particular situation ever arises. If sharing air is required, I don’t need a long hose as I want to keep a hold of him/her.

Diving in the St. Lawrence we run into some strong currents and there is a definite tug on the reg - having a longer hose (even if wrapped around me) may increase that tug.

I keep our regs in our carry-on when travelling south and they take up more than enough room without adding more length to the hoses (and a bit more weight).

Eventually I’ll switch to myFlex hoses, but not get a long hose.

I'm thinking of going to a long hose so when I go on a charter with my NASDS cert card they'll think I know what I'm doing anyway.:sarcasm:

Please help me out, I have been diving a long hose setup for a couple of hundred dives now and cannot remember what I was thinking when diving with a 30" primary hose. Was it because it was what came with my regulator when I purchased it? Was it because it my LDS said it was unnecessary, and only those tech guys dive that way? Did I really think it was more streamlined?

I personally have been able to use the long hose in so many scenarios, emergencies and not, OW and overhead, that I think it has earned it's weight in gold (at least the extra 54" worth).

I would be interested in hearing some logical reasons why the long hose is not the best of all worlds.

Thanks in advance....

Good for you. :rofl3:

This is not worthy of a serious discussion and is clearly an attempt to start a second flame thread concurrent with the existing "long hose" thread. I think there is a DIR forum for the bolt snaps and long hoses. You "Hog looped" guys are Hog tied on this subject aren't you, just cannot let it go.:no:

Yawn. :shakehead:

N

This is ... clearly an attempt to start a second flame thread concurrent with the existing "long hose" thread.

Not to mention the three Primary Donation threads.

I guess the other unbelievably too-long-and-dead-horse-beaten-to-a-bloody-pulp thread wasn't enough for you.

John Bailey:
Why... you both can breathe now and there is no emergency at this point.

There is an emergency, it is not as urgent as it was before giving him air, but it still exists.

John Bailey:
Take the time to sort yourselves out and see if your problem is fixable.

Agreed.

John Bailey:
It may not be, and you may be correct that you are heading to the surface, but there is no need to do it in a less than safe manner.

Why would you assume anyone thought about ascending in a less than safe manner?

John Bailey:
The inference I'm making from your wording is that the OOA diver needs to be babysat and is no longer capable of making a rational decision.

You are correct. In theory, they've already shown themselves incapable of rational decisions by running out of air. Inserting stress and narcosis rarely makes them more rational. I've brought up many OOA divers. The theory, in this case, has been proven true. Add in the fact that many divers have inadequate training and are at best ½ a second from panic under ideal conditions, that grip on their BC and eye contact are essential.

John Bailey:
This is why air sharing needs to be practiced frequently.

Practice is a great idea.

Read Walters post above very carefully

in my case, the stock 31"(?) hose on my primary reg was too short to accomplish the task of air sharing required with an Air2 setup .. so short that if you held the diver with anything less than your arm bent, you would pull the reg out of the other persons mouth, so short that any need to do a horizontal swim that both of you are going to be swimming on their sides, or one on their back .. totally unacceptable .. and why I now have a 42" hose on it, routed under my arm.
I bet it's the same no matter what brand combo inflator/regulator you have ... anyone with a similar set up needs to do something to fix that issue

I much prefer the longer length on my hose, and would not go back to the stock one even after getting rid of the Air2 setup

Diving in the St. Lawrence we run into some strong currents and there is a definite tug on the reg - having a longer hose (even if wrapped around me) may increase that tug.

I've dove in some extremely strong currents and in high flow caves. The long hose actually decreases drag, because you dont have a loop out over your shoulder like you do with the traditional short primary/short backup. When properly used, it offers much better streamlining.

I currently have a short hose. I want a long hose. I've heard there are hose enhancement pills.... Has anyone tried them? :D

Seriously though, I discovered some muddle in my current gear configuration in the pool demonstrating an OOG situation with an instructor. I have the Octo on a necklace, but the hose on my primary is no sufficient to share. I am debating a 42" or 60". Under the arm or around the neck.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom