Not understanding the short hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know, that is not the one most recently recalled.
and I have the info on how how to check the Omni swivel and it was a machining error at the base where it screws on to the mask causing a restriction from pivoting on the connector end, and to unscrew instead .. it was not a problem with the swivel

About the 90* fitting, it might make handoff to the other person while air sharing a bit problematic .. you need to try it and see

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me D_B. I thought the things were just coming apart at the swivel joint. And good point about handing my reg off with a ninety degree fitting. Would make grasping the hose pretty awkward. But wouldn't a swivel pose the same problem?

When I hand it off, the hose is straight out from the reg , just like it normally would be
and under pressure, a swivel does not flop around but stays pretty much where it is unless the hose is pulled on

Personally, I think they are a pain in the ass.
Well ... that's much better than your previous statement that they are dangerous and unnecessary (the latter is true ... the former is not).

I've come to the conclusion that a long hose on a dive boat makes a great conversation starter. It signifies "tech light" to me; you know, folks who want to look like tech dives but don't want to do the actual work to get there.
How do you know the person hasn't put in the actual work to get there? Do you always make assumptions about people based on their gear?

I know this will piss off some folks, but, as the saying goes, "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

Jeff
Doesn't piss me off in the least ... you're entitled to your opinion. I think it comes across as a bit silly and short-sighted ... but I'm entitled to my opinion too ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd like to apologize to everyone, apparently the moderation staff has found one of my posts offensive. Although the Billy Squier song "stroke it" is played across the nation on every classic rock radio station, posting the lyrics is apparently too offensive for scubaboard. My sincerest apologies :shakehead:

You guys have such an issue with the "S" word I'm suprised it's not ***** out :rofl3:

... it used to be, yanno ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I asked for some good reasons to hang up the long hose...I don't recall saying I had a deathwish I was looking to fulfill. :no:

Your rig,
1/2 dozen LP hoses to fail
1 or 2 Hp hoses to fail
A couple of dozen O rings to fail
BC inflator to fail

My rig

1 O ring

and still a 50/50 chance it will fail :wink:

:rofl3:

:D

That whole "50/50" thread really helps put EVERYTHING in perspective, huh?

:eyebrow:

and still a 50/50 chance it will fail :wink:

:rofl3:

:D

I don't think you understand failure analysis.

In the case of Captain's rig, the only (pressured) O ring is the valve to regulator O ring. Oh, I guess there is another at the valve to tank neck unless he has a tapered valve also.

N

I have to say that while this whole thread was started as a flame (IMO) I have found some of it very useful-especially the post from D_P. I have an Air2-may be getting rid of it, don't know...but his comments about going with something a litle longer re-enforced some thoughts I already had about the set up. 7' sounded way too long for what I do but i was debating 5'...now I am thinking 5' or 42" for sure.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom