Notifying the team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the DIR forum. Isn't there a DIR answer to this question?
I can't believe it depends on team mates' personalities and preferences. Does not sound very DIR that it depends on nature of the dive or each individual's (separate) analysis of the level of the dive in question either when one is training for other responses to carry over all conditions.

Imo, as each individual's diving progresses, they figure out what's really important on a dive and what isn't. If a new diver hopped in the water with a partially full tank and couldn't quickly translate that in to Time at Depth, then I could see referring the question to a more experienced diver.

But Lynne isn't brand new. She made the (correct) calculation that 1500psi in a hauss tank is enough to complete the dive and maintain the safety reserve that we all agree on (rock bottom, min gas, call it what you like).

If some sort of "emergency" happens, do all the divers in the team look at the so called dive leader for orders before acting because he has some super knowledge of everyone's status? I certainly hope not.

It might be very unlikely but I would hate to get the extra surprise of low gas on my trusted buddy in a situation where, say, the new diver had a big issue.

If that's the case, you need to increase your rock bottom.

I can't believe it depends on team mates' personalities and preferences.

I doubt this particular scenario is spelled out anywhere in "dir lore" (particularly given that it should have been caught pre-dive).

Like Brian said, if you ask a Fundies instructor, they'll probably say tell the team. That doesn't make what Lynne did wrong or even not-DIR.

The DIR answer is:

1) Check yo self before you wreck yo self (what Ice Cube means is: buddy checks).

2) Plan a conservatively adequate gas reserve, and turn the dive when (or before) you hit it. If you have a specific plan (e.g. 45 minutes) that for whatever reason you will be unable to complete without violating that reserve, tell the team.

I can't believe it depends on team mates' personalities and preferences. Does not sound very DIR that it depends on nature of the dive or each individual's (separate) analysis of the level of the dive in question either when one is training for other responses to carry over all conditions.

In an overhead (rock, wreck, or deco) or otherwise more aggressive dive the answer is absolutely different. There isn't a one size fits all answer which is why I, as your prosective 'DIR' teammate, have to have a certain amount of trust that your brain works like my brain works. For ho hum errors like the half full (but adequate) tank but also especially under stress. Its why people need a proper class and can't just figure this DIR stuff out on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom