November Dive Trip, where should we go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kauai Krush

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Our family of 6 would like to do some diving over Thanksgiving 2009. We're considering a live aboard but mostly concerned about the time of year.

Where are some good dive locations for November?

Our family of 6 would like to do some diving over Thanksgiving 2009. We're considering a live aboard but mostly concerned about the time of year.

you might have a hard time finding 6 openings on a liveaboard for a holiday weekend, especially. You should probably e-mail all the liveaboards in your price range to see if they still have any openings.

As far as weather goes...That is the end of hurricane season but still can be rainy anywhere in Caribbean or it could be gorgeous and sunny. There is no way to predict.

Do you have 6 divers? Do you have a price range you are looking at? Where have you been and what type of diving do you want to do? Anything you want to see in particular?

robin:D

Catalina Island should be lovely in November, not crowded, still nice. I'd ask on the South Calf forum tho, as that may be a little ambitious. Plane tickets for that weekend are your big challenge. :pilot:

Bonaire: out of the hurricane belt and plenty of diving. Think of it as a "liveabord" without the boat!

The water temperature for the last two weeks of November for the last three years has ranged from 75 to 80 degrees. It is after Hurricane season, that time of year. There are many different shore dives you can make for free if you are staying at the Bridge @ Cordova and we can set you up on charter boats for $60 per person for a two tank dive. Large studios for 2 persons go for $400 per week and beds in a crew room go for $165 per week. See our website: Home Page. See pictures taken in November in 2008 at Picasa Web Albums - michael.

Michael
Bridge @ Cordova

We went to Australia in November, and it was perfect. The weather was pleasant but not hot (although we had a little rain). The diving was wonderful. I'd go back at the same time again.

Bonaire: out of the hurricane belt and plenty of diving. Think of it as a "liveabord" without the boat!

I hate to sopund like a broken record and I haven't dove everywhere in the world---yet---, I'll second Bonaire.

I've never been there in November, but have in September, March and January. Water temps have never been below 79 degrees and as high as 84 degrees, so a 3mm might do year round. Viz usually is about 80', sometimes more.

What do I especially like about Bonaire. The list is long, but I'll try to be brief. The reefs are pretty pristine as the whole area is a marine park. You have the freedom to dive when you want, where you want, and for how long you want and as many dives a day as you can handle. Going in from shore you'll see stuff as shallow as 7' and as deep as 100' so you get to dive your own comfort level. You're never more than a couple hundred feet from shore, with no currents, so you'll never get "lost at sea". Lots of marine life and all you have to do is slow down and look for it (if you need fins you're going too fast).

There are lots of resorts at water's edge and most have a "house reef" that is just a continuence of the whole reef system, with very easy access. Comparing the price of boat diving most other places and the amount of dives you can do Bonaire might be cheaper than places like the Keys, and with Nitrox a free upgrade at most places there. YES, you can hire a guide if you wish, but frankly, a couple dives on the house reef would show you pretty much what to expect almost on any of the reefs. You can mix the shore dives with a couple boat trips out to Klein, a little island a few hundred yards off the shore, and this is probably not a bad idea as Klein has it's own little wonders.

You have time to do some comparison shopping so I'll mention this website---www.bonairepros.com. Although I'm not advertising for them it's just a site that shows several options of different resorts. These aren't the only places nor all the available packages, but should give you a start.

For what it's worth I've dove off Key Largo and Palm Beach area. I also have been to Bonaire 6 times in the last 4 years; trip #7 coming the end of September for two weeks. There really is no comparison. After having dove a few of places throughout the world, such as Fiji, Philippines, Curacao, Bonaire, Cozumel, Roatan, and others I'm not all that impressed with the Keys anymore. Of course, I can afford to go places, but if the Keys were all I could do I'd have to say that it's better than any of the local quarries here in Pa, which I do not dive but once every couple years.

I don't know how old your kids are, but I would really recommend the Kona area on the big island of Hawaii. We dive all over the world, and I was really impressed by several dives we made earlier this year.

First, swimming/photographing spinner dolphins. They show up like clock work and are an absolute riot to be in the water with.

Second, night manta dives. We had 20 twelve foot, 3,000 pound mantas on our dive. It was spectacular, and once again great photo ops.

Third, a dive called pelagic magic. You are taken several miles off the coast at night where the shelf ends and depths drop way off. You are on a 40-50 foot reference line, and get to see amazing deep water critters. Once again, great photo ops.

The day dives are also fun with many endemics and lots of swim throughs because of the volcanic activity.

For a short trip like Thanksgiving, Kona is easy to get to (non-stop flights from West Coast Cities), relatively inexpensive, and there are a lot of non-diving activities like visiting volcanoes, seeing petroglyphs, etc. Plus you don't have to deal with customs and immigration, which continues to get more and more interesting on each of our overseas trips (lost luggage on Bahamas outing last week).

Have fun wherever you go!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom