Novice diver plunge for Backplate and Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned to dive with a hand-me-down jacket style BCD. At that point in time, I was just happy that I didn't have to pay for a BCD at all. Then my wife (who was the one who got me to start diving) decided she needed a new BCD because hers was too small (she had been using it since she was in high school). So we headed up to our LDS and while the owner was happy to show us the range of jacket style BCDs he had in stock, he actually did try to sell us on the Halcyon systems. This seems to be the opposite experience to most of the posts so far.

We balked a little at the price, but after a little while in the pool to try it out and compare to the other BCDs, both my wife and I were sold. I went in with no intention of getting a new BCD, but after trying it out I couldn't walk out of the store without it. Luckily for us, our LDS has a wonderful layaway program where we could pay off the BCDs and "check them out" when we wanted to dive. (this is why we drive 40 minutes to our LDS as opposed to using the closer ones, better customer service)

Within our first 2-3 dives with the Halcyons both my wife and I were feeling more comfortable in the water than we had before. I was amazed at how much better it felt in terms of trim and being more streamlined.

So, in sort, I agree with the sentiments of everyone else, if you are interested in a BP&W setup, go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well back on topic the op wanted to know if a bp/w is good way to go and the answer is a yes why not?

Durable, streamline, multi function with singles and doubles, has replaceable parts and is easy to dry and most importantly is so easy to trim out in.

Oh dear,
I wish I could edit my post (am I being an idiot, or can I not edit a 'liked'post?); not only does it contain a few typos, but I have also made the outrageous claim that when backpacking....
....I roll up my backplate...

I definitely meant, the wing
Do not try to roll up your backplate!

Nic

I finally made up my mind, and purchased from another local store a basic setup: harness and wing, Aqualang Titan regulator/an inexpensive Aqualang octopus, D4i Suunto wrist computer, a couple of air tanks. I used local, not online for a number of reasons. Professional, no pressure customer service and their patient answering mirriads of my questions played a big role. Besides, I believe in supporting local businesses and spending my money where part of it goes back to me - via local taxes. (But I did buy my wetsuit online because no local stores had Bare in stock, and my size (short and stocky) was only available from Bare).

I've selected a TransPac XT with a Voyager EXP wing because of their good reputation, reviews and most of all because it felt just right when I tried it on. Also, it's manufactured in the USA. It was a superb shopping experience. Tomorrow I am diving my certification finals, and I am sure I'll like my new rig!

I will certainly share my impressions here - stay tuned.

I finally made up my mind, and purchased from another local store a basic setup: harness and wing, Aqualang Titan regulator/an inexpensive Aqualang octopus, D4i Suunto wrist computer, a couple of air tanks. I used local, not online for a number of reasons. Professional, no pressure customer service and their patient answering mirriads of my questions played a big role. Besides, I believe in supporting local businesses and spending my money where part of it goes back to me - via local taxes. (But I did buy my wetsuit online because no local stores had Bare in stock, and my size (short and stocky) was only available from Bare).

I've selected a TransPac XT with a Voyager EXP wing because of their good reputation, reviews and most of all because it felt just right when I tried it on. Also, it's manufactured in the USA. It was a superb shopping experience. Tomorrow I am diving my certification finals, and I am sure I'll like my new rig!

Congrads on your purchase and good luck on your certification.

The titan will serve u well for years and years and years, perhaps decades would be more apt lol.

The transpac + voyager wing will serve you well for years and years too and is a great travel bcd, with some adjustments it can be converted to a sm rig and even a doubles setup, just add a crouch strap and it'll be close to perfect.

One word of advice is what feels great above water may not be the same underwater, a deluxe harness with all sorts of padding frees great but underwater it starts to feel cumbersome, a hog harness with a plate feels rather skimpy above but once under feels perfect.

If you remove a lot of the padding of the transpac it would be a great travel bcd.

Cheers

Everything went well, and I got my certification.
It was nice to dive in my own wetsuit that fit me perfectly, and like many of you said, using the wing was not a challenge at all. To tell you the truth, I didn't notice much difference. I used inflator/deflator buttons a lot less than in my previous dives, but that was mostly because... practice makes perfect. I am sure getting the knack. Most problems today were related to the difficulty of reading the D4i information. The computer worked flawlessly but I couldn't read 'the small print' most of the time.

On dry land I use reading glasses, and the smaller digits were a bit of a problem. What really puzzled me was that sometimes I could see everything on the dial perfectly well. As if I was wearing my glasses. Is there some secret? Was it an angle of vision, a little water in the mask, or maybe I could see better because of sunshine? I thought it was better when we ascended to 20-30 feet. At 50-60 it was too dark. If you like myself wear reading glasses and from personal experience know computers with brighter displays that would help me, let me know.
Many thanks to all and everyone who took the time to read my question and offered advice. Save diving, guys!

The Transpac is a very versatile piece of equipment. It doesn't hug the tank tight to the body like a BPW (there is some tank floppage but not much), but it also does a lot of other equipment configurations: sidemount, rebreather, etc. For double-tank mounted on the back, there's an adapter kit for it. Or just do sidemount.

One possible solution to the tiny screen of the D4 is to pop into a hardware shop and get a stick on magnification screen. Find a good clear adhesive that is easy to remove just in case.

I remembered that Suunto had an optional screen magnification attachment, not sure if it's still available

Attachments

• 9984h8c_20.jpeg
    9984h8c_20.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 181
I believe in supporting local businesses and spending my money where part of it goes back to me - via local taxes.

Good for you. The diving industry relies on people buying local as its life support gear, not a tennis racquet. LOL :)

WOW, awesome! Thats exactly what I'm getting as well! :)

You understand its not a BPW right? heh, tis ok you did the right thing. :D

One of the best thing of the gear you bought is that in the event you decide to go the the bp/w you could reuse the wing on the transpac.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom