Now I understand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I don't see COLD Water Dive Destinations, even really fun ones, as being on the bucket list for the majority of Vacation divers. I think the cold water diving, is for the people that live in very cold water areas, and try to make the best of it.

I'm not sure Scapa Flow isn't on some divers list. That's plenty cold! I know if somehow I could ice dive under one of the poles I'd jump at the chance. Warm water ain't everything!

OP have you report this menace yet?

As an Instructor, I am horrified at this story. So many wrong things I don't where to begin. Glad you survived.

OT, but Scapa Flow is high on my "bucket list."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scapa Flow was on my bucket list. No longer, Kelly and I dived it last year!

I'm not sure Scapa Flow isn't on some divers list. That's plenty cold! I know if somehow I could ice dive under one of the poles I'd jump at the chance. Warm water ain't everything!

OP have you report this menace yet?

Yeah, PADI told me to take it up with the instructor.

BK

In addition to what has already been observed I would add:

The instructor should have done a shake down dive to qualify whether the OP was a candidate for further training or needed (as is so often the case with newly certified divers) remedial improvement on basic open water skills.

BK

Send an email to PADI describing the events as you did here. Please post their response. Phone calls are not recorded and you don't really know who you were talking to. If they give you the same response in writing, I will return my cert cards to PADI, I suggest you do the same.

BK

Well that's as much help as a broken easy out! No wonder there are instructors like the one you encountered running around.

If a Diver comes to me with an OW card, I use to believe that this was a sign of competence. The training standards and training time being what they are, this is no longer the case. It's unfortunate, but it has been my experience that seldom do these divers have the skill-sets necessary to be certified to dive independently.

There may be a problem with OW divers seeking AOW training in-that some OW divers should not have been certified in the first-place. Most require much more diving experience before they take on the next program. From what you've indicated, perhaps this may be the case with you. Additional diving experience would provide the confidence that's required for you to present yourself for training at the next level.

As a newly certified OW diver, my experience is that I'd like to get more training and experience, as the OW course really only scratches the surface. But gathering experience first through independent dives isn't that easy; there is the challenge of finding a buddy who is willing to take on an inexperienced diver, there is perhaps a lack of confidence or an overabundance of caution because the OW course was rather shallow, and, I don't have all the gear yet. So I and many new divers, I presume, ask an instructor or the LDS what to do. And the answer invariably is "Take my AOW course!"

Back
Top Bottom