Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey nudi lovers,

I just recently discovered nudibranchs here in South Korea and am fascinated by them, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to be able to sort through IDs. I have so many questions.

First off, can anyone help ID this (apology for poor quality. It was my first few days with the camera and I was still sorting things out. I've since ordered the macro attachment.) All the dive guide could tell me (in Korean) is that the white ones are incredibly rare here and he was amazed that I had found one. Also, very thankful that I pointed it out so he could get a picture.
View attachment 735198

Some general questions:
  1. Are all nudis in one group carbon copies and even slight variation means they are a different kind? Or, if it's generally blue with yellow stripes and orange & white rhinophores and branchial plume can we assume they're the same type?
  2. Is there such a thing as a genetic anomaly, for example an albino nudibranch? I ask because I spent the morning searching for an ID on the above picture and couldn't find anything that resembled it.
Here's a short clip (not much sharper I'm afraid.)
Thanks for any help you could offer!
Nearly impossible to tell from the photo and video, but the shape could be Bornella stellifer.
1658941627340.png

Nearly impossible to tell from the photo and video, but the shape could be Bornella stellifer.
View attachment 735345
Thanks! That's definitely the best fit so far.

Oh, OK. So, they don't need to be an exact colour AND shape match. There may be colour variation within a genus. I wasn't sure about that, hence my questions.

(Edit) Using your suggestion, I did further research and this page shows almost pure white specimens of Bornella japonica (Bornella hermanni) from around Okinawa, Japan that are characterized by three pairs of dorsal cerata (which differentiates it from Bornella stellifer). This seems to fit. I have so many tabs open in my browser right now trying to identify this nudibranch :rofl3:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...rnella-hermanni-showing-detail_fig6_279602907

I didn't find many nudis on our recent Fiji trip.
1668722949707.png

Phyllodesmium undulatum

1668722984227.png

Trapania naeva

1668723020729.png

Trapania naeva

1668723062624.png

Phyllidia varicosa

1668723105057.png

Phyllidiella Cooraburrama

After not being able to go do any proper dive trips for the past 2 years, I finally got back to the Red Sea for a liveaboard in october.
Although we primarilly were after sharks and mostly used a wideangle lens, I did find a few of one of the largest and coolest nudies :)
IMG_7589.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom