Nudibranchs standing up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry my previous link did not seem to work

Bunaken-1000333-.jpg

I think saying you don't dive enough sounds a bit harsh but maybe what you have to do is spend more time with your subject

If you just see a nudi and snap away move on there is a chance you won't see any behaviour or movement. I used to be like that until I started shooting video now I take my time with a subject conditions permitting and I have to say I have been rewarded.

Don't loose faith and try to change your dive plan from critter hunting into some more naturalistic purpose and things will get better

I guess someone has to say it.....but a lot of photographers move the subject. I do not follow this practice but I know other locals who do. I am operating under the assumption that the people posting to this thread also do not move the subject either. That being said many photographers flip over every rock, etc just to find the nudibranchs in the first place.

Flabellina iodinea (or whatever its current scirntific name is) as pictured by Phil (MaxBottomTime) is one of the species I see going vertical quite frequently.

I guess someone has to say it.....but a lot of photographers move the subject. I do not follow this practice but I know other locals who do. I am operating under the assumption that the people posting to this thread also do not move the subject either. That being said many photographers flip over every rock, etc just to find the nudibranchs in the first place.

I'm with you. Patience is better than interference

Flabellina iodinea (or whatever its current scirntific name is) as pictured by Phil (MaxBottomTime) is one of the species I see going vertical quite frequently.

Ironic I only saw 1 nudi today. Not a site known for nudis. It was a Black Margined Glossodoris (Glossodoris atromarginata) and it was Standing up! I don't normally bother taking pics of them as they are so common and rather plain but I did take a pic. I will post it later.

At least for this week it is still Flabellina, next month who knows. Damn DNA guys.
Bill

Happened to go through some older video footage yesterday and found I had sequences of Felimare (Hypselodoris) californiensis standing up as well.

Agreed with all comments. I've seen many in the standing position and it's either they are climbing, searching, could be some were fighting with another, and current. Currents blow them around often. If you are trying to shoot in current, it takes patience and willingness to hang out for the shot. ML, when you see one, post and let us know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom