Nudie experts please chime in - is this the hooded nudiebranch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, you're against lobster catch & release too? Or fishing catch & release? Damn those marine biologists for netting and tagging marine/aquatic animals!!!

I'm sorry fnfalman, I shouldn't of chimed in, I'm not a nudie expert as much as I'd wanna be. I didn't know nudibranchs were rugged and tough creatures, they look so fragile and delicate. But as far as collecting them (like you've shown here) and tagging them, pin a "user name" on em create a scubaboard account for them, if they can handle it and if you say so....OK.

I'm sorry fnfalman, I shouldn't of chimed in, I'm not a nudie expert as much as I'd wanna be. I didn't know nudibranchs were rugged and tough creatures, they look so fragile and delicate. But as far as collecting them (like you've shown here) and tagging them, pin a "user name" on em create a scubaboard account for them, if they can handle it and if you say so....OK.

They are among the fiercest predators of the seas. They can handle five minutes outside of the water for some photography.

BTW, when another poster who was a more prolific photographer cum poster on this board that repeated posted photos of various nudies being "handled" underwater by his dive partner cum model...where was the outrage?

Nonetheless, they can handle it, so I think that I will go find me some more this weekend to tag & bag.

---------- Post added ----------

Also, please contact the Wrigley Institute at USC to display your outrage as well. This past Saturday at Avalon, some of them marine biologist students had the temerity to manhandle various marine lives, including TWO sea hares. They were picking these things out of the aquarium tanks and allowed children to pet these poor shell-less slugs. The humanity of it all!!!

At least I kept mine in a bowl filled with water.

Reactions: Jax
BTW, when another poster who was a more prolific photographer cum poster on this board that repeated posted photos of various nudies being "handled" underwater by his dive partner cum model...where was the outrage?
I think most people realize how idiotic that looks when you toss animals into mid water to get a "flying" pose or place them on gloves, masks or fruit. I guess seeing animals in their natural environment is too boring for some. I'd much rather see a nudi eating a hydroid than playing circus freak.

Judging from the National Geographic article, David Doubilet disagrees with you . . .

I think there is a tremendous art in capturing subjects in their native settings and making the photographs appealing. (I especially think this because I am on a steep part of the learning curve for doing it.) I think there is also art in creating settings that isolate and intensify the quality of the animal.

In general, I don't like handling marine life, much less taking animals completely out of their environment. That has to be stressful. I especially don't like it when professionals do it---even if they know the species they are handling and that it will be safe, it sets a terrible example for everyone else. And if you don't even know the species, how can you know that it is okay? Comparing a nudibranch to lobsters and fish makes no sense. Taking photos underwater, in the correct habitat, is a lot more fun and gives far better results, too.

Just my opinion.

Judging from the National Geographic article, David Doubilet disagrees with you . . .

I think there is a tremendous art in capturing subjects in their native settings and making the photographs appealing. (I especially think this because I am on a steep part of the learning curve for doing it.) I think there is also art in creating settings that isolate and intensify the quality of the animal.
Which is why I try to emulate Kevin Lee. For macro, he turns his strobes inward toward the front of his housing and shoots at a fast shutter speed to get a black background, making his nudis "jump" out at you. He is able to do this without flinging them in the water or taking fruit underwater.
Latest SoCal Dives - Kevin Lee's Photos | SmugMug

And there is definitely the art I was talking about! Kevin's photography is amazing.

BTW, I'm with you about the fruit. Never understood that theme. But the differences we're talking about are similar to the classicists versus modern artists. One operates with self-set constraints, and faces the challenges of creating art that way. And the other may face fewer constraints, but faces the risk that the "art" will become irrelevant to the viewer, or too bizarre to connect.

They are among the fiercest predators of the seas. They can handle five minutes outside of the water for some photography.

Nonetheless, they can handle it, so I think that I will go find me some more this weekend to tag & bag.

Also, please contact the Wrigley Institute at USC to display your outrage as well. This past Saturday at Avalon, some of them marine biologist students had the temerity to manhandle various marine lives, including TWO sea hares. They were picking these things out of the aquarium tanks and allowed children to pet these poor shell-less slugs. The humanity of it all!!!

At least I kept mine in a bowl filled with water.

Fnfalman??? Take some slow deep breaths, relax. I might not know alot about nudibranchs and how resiliant you say they are, but I do know the definitions of "outrage," not only is it a violation of the usages of this "board" to display such, towards another scubaboard user, but I'm not outraged in the slightest degree, so before you imply that, know that I am not at all. ahah. Let me refresh you on what "outrage" means:
out·rage (out
prime.gif
r
amacr.gif
j
lprime.gif
)n.1. An act of extreme violence or viciousness.
2. An act grossly offensive to decency, morality, or good taste.
3. A deplorable insult.
4. Resentful anger aroused by a violent or offensive act.

tr.v. out·raged, out·rag·ing, out·rag·es 1. To offend grossly against (standards of decency or morality); commit an outrage on.
2. To produce anger or resentment in: Incompetence outraged him.

OR:

outrage [ˈaʊtˌreɪdʒ]n1. a wantonly vicious or cruel act
2. a gross violation of decency, morality, honour, etc.
3. profound indignation, anger, or hurt, caused by such an act

vb (tr)1. to cause profound indignation, anger, or resentment in
2. to offend grossly (feelings, decency, human dignity, etc.)
3. to commit an act of wanton viciousness, cruelty, or indecency on
4. a euphemistic word for rape1

to a layman:
outrage - The true etymology of outrage has nothing to do with out or rage—rather, it is a borrowing from French outrage, "insult, outrage," based on Latin ultra, "beyond," and -agium, a noun suffix; outrage first meant "lack of moderation.

I want to thank you for your dedicated posting of how you handle nudibranchs, and the education that you shared with me "They are among the fiercest predators of the seas." Now which I have to chime in here, because that maybe true in terms of their "prey" but not to a 250lb land mammal with scuba gear on, using paper plates as holding medium. And as a matter of being open to learning, the term "outrage" and it's number 1 descriptions: 1. An act of extreme violence or viciousness.
1. a wantonly vicious or cruel act
could very well be used to decribe the very nature of removing a nudi and putting it back. They are as delicate as a butterfly wing, for something as big as us touching it. That's just my observance (and oppinion)of them in their natural state. Please don't let it upset you!

QUOTE=fnfalman;6367927]They are among the fiercest predators of the seas. They can handle five minutes outside of the water for some photography.

At least I kept mine in a bowl filled with water.[/QUOTE]

Fnfalman??? Take some slow deep breaths, relax. I might not know alot about nudibranchs and how resiliant you say they are, but I do know the definitions of "outrage," not only is it a violation of the usages of this "board" to display such, towards another scubaboard user, but I'm not outraged in the slightest degree, so before you imply that, know that I am not at all. ahah. Let me refresh you on what "outrage" means:
out·rage (out
prime.gif
r
amacr.gif
j
lprime.gif
)n.1. An act of extreme violence or viciousness.
2. An act grossly offensive to decency, morality, or good taste.
3. A deplorable insult.
4. Resentful anger aroused by a violent or offensive act.

tr.v. out·raged, out·rag·ing, out·rag·es 1. To offend grossly against (standards of decency or morality); commit an outrage on.
2. To produce anger or resentment in: Incompetence outraged him.

OR:

outrage [ˈaʊtˌreɪdʒ]n1. a wantonly vicious or cruel act
2. a gross violation of decency, morality, honour, etc.
3. profound indignation, anger, or hurt, caused by such an act

vb (tr)1. to cause profound indignation, anger, or resentment in
2. to offend grossly (feelings, decency, human dignity, etc.)
3. to commit an act of wanton viciousness, cruelty, or indecency on
4. a euphemistic word for rape1

to a layman:
outrage - The true etymology of outrage has nothing to do with out or rage—rather, it is a borrowing from French outrage, "insult, outrage," based on Latin ultra, "beyond," and -agium, a noun suffix; outrage first meant "lack of moderation.

I want to thank you for your dedicated posting of how you handle nudibranchs, and the education that you shared with me "They are among the fiercest predators of the seas." Now which I have to chime in here, because that maybe true in terms of their "prey" but not to a 250lb land mammal with scuba gear on, using paper plates as holding medium. And as a matter of being open to learning, the term "outrage" and it's number 1 descriptions: 1. An act of extreme violence or viciousness.
1. a wantonly vicious or cruel act.
could very well be used to decribe the very nature of removing a nudi and putting it back. They are as delicate as a butterfly wing, for something as big as us touching it. That's just my observance (and oppinion)of them in their natural state. Please don't let it upset you!

As a marine biologist, I think it best to avoid touching or moving marine life period. Bringing a nudi (or any other marine critter) up and placing it in a small volume of water topside, especially if in the sun, can result in increased water temperature that might induce thermal shock. Years ago I made the mistake of bringing up a sea cucumber to the dive boat so I could film it eviscerate. I left it in the shade of the boat;s cabin, but when I wasn't looking the boat swung and out it in direct sunlight. Not only did the sea cucumber eviscerate due to elevated water temperature... it croaked (and I don't mean like a white sea bass or black croaker).

As a marine biologist, I think it best to avoid touching or moving marine life period. Bringing a nudi (or any other marine critter) up and placing it in a small volume of water topside, especially if in the sun, can result in increased water temperature that might induce thermal shock. Years ago I made the mistake of bringing up a sea cucumber to the dive boat so I could film it eviscerate. I left it in the shade of the boat;s cabin, but when I wasn't looking the boat swung and out it in direct sunlight. Not only did the sea cucumber eviscerate due to elevated water temperature... it croaked (and I don't mean like a white sea bass or black croaker).

I didn't bring the nudie up. Somebody did, so I figured what the hell, whip out the camera and took some photos. It was topside for no more than five minutes total before got sent back to the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom