Nusa Penida Mola Mola Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just heard that there have not been too many sightings of Molas in the last few weeks,and that the season has not really started this year. Anyone can confirm/ infirm ?

Diving NP / NL everyday, I can confirm that the numbers have been quite low since the begining of the season compared to last year. Numbers are increasing since a few days but still you have to be lucky to see the big fish when diving the main spots (Blue Corner, Crystal Bay, Toyapakeh + NP north coast) at the moment when it was almost guaranted last year.

Water is still quite warm at the moment (the coldest I have recorded so far is 18°C (thermoclines), with 24° C on average, loads of > 26° C dives on the north coast), hopefully it will keep getting colder in the coming days to see the Molas more and more surfacing.

So far, I have personnaly spotted much more Molas on the north coast of NP & at Blue Corner than in Crystal Bay ... but I'm not a big fan of CB in season and try to avoid it when I can ... the dive site still being a total mess with hundreds of divers everyday with dozens of them doing just s**t when their guides just don't care. When lots of guides were sitting on the 1st and 2sd corners with their guests last year (how silly ?), they now get into the blue to spot the Molas, play with their tank-bangers to be sure the fish get scared and don't get close to the reef when letting their guests do what they want on the reef (how stupid ?).

Diving NP / NL everyday, I can confirm that the numbers have been quite low since the begining of the season compared to last year. Numbers are increasing since a few days but still you have to be lucky to see the big fish when diving the main spots (Blue Corner, Crystal Bay, Toyapakeh + NP north coast) at the moment when it was almost guaranted last year.

Water is still quite warm at the moment (the coldest I have recorded so far is 18°C (thermoclines), with 24° C on average, loads of > 26° C dives on the north coast), hopefully it will keep getting colder in the coming days to see the Molas more and more surfacing.

So far, I have personnaly spotted much more Molas on the north coast of NP & at Blue Corner than in Crystal Bay ... but I'm not a big fan of CB in season and try to avoid it when I can ... the dive site still being a total mess with hundreds of divers everyday with dozens of them doing just s**t when their guides just don't care. When lots of guides were sitting on the 1st and 2sd corners with their guests last year (how silly ?), they now get into the blue to spot the Molas, play with their tank-bangers to be sure the fish get scared and don't get close to the reef when letting their guests do what they want on the reef (how stupid ?).

Zivva,

i've never dove NP/NL on the full moon, and I've heard that can make a difference. If you dive around the full moon is it true it increases the likelihood of sightings?

thanks!

We have dived Nusa Lembongan and on both trips met relatively inexperienced divers i.e. OW less than 15 dives. Both were absolutely fine on the sites , the currents were more than manageable and of course the diving there is absolutely superb. We stayed and dived with World Diving on the island , who have very experienced local DMs who know the current and have been in the sites every day for years and years. Last year in June we were lucky enough to see 4 Mola Molas , what an experience. This year in February had wonderful manta sightings.

Thanks - Well fingers crossed, I do really hope I can get some decent pictures... Will be coming from Padangbai, hope they avoid the circus :)

Thanks - Well fingers crossed, I do really hope I can get some decent pictures... Will be coming from Padangbai, hope they avoid the circus :)

Which dive op are you diving with, Frogfish?

Zivva,

i've never dove NP/NL on the full moon, and I've heard that can make a difference. If you dive around the full moon is it true it increases the likelihood of sightings?

thanks!

I know about the "dive around full moon & avoid full moon" rumor and many local dive guides believe in it but from my personnal experience I have never seen a big jump of sightings around full moon. Still visibility is at its best around full moon when tidal movements get bigger.

20120818-_-52.jpg20120818-_-68.jpg Talking to the operator I'm diving with they also said this season had been very poor for mola molas sightings so far. We had a couple of days with no luck, then on Saturday tried something different at Crystal Bay, diving the OTHER side of that little island with the temple at the top..the opposite side of where one would usually enter and descend. Away from the horde of divers on the other side, in about 10 minutes came across this guy being cleaned...had a good 5 minutes with him and followed him as he drifted down to about 45 meters, which cut my time short. Unfortunately, couldn't get underneath him to get a better vantage point for a photo. Anyway, might be worth it to try this when at Crystal Bay...I know I've never seen more than just a glimpse of a mola mola when lots of people are around...few seem to dive that other side.

Unfortunately, couldn't get underneath him to get a better vantage point for a photo.

Which is a good news as it is exactly what should be AVOIDED and is written in bold in the Coral Triangle Center's Code of Conduct.

Molas don't like bubbles : the best way to disturb their cleaning habit and make them fly is to get under them. Period.

Unfortunately, only a few dive ops have bothered to work on this Code of Conduct with the CTC, fewer have read it and even fewer brief their guests accordingly ...

Regarding diving the north-east side of Crystal Bay, it's indeed the best way to avoid the crowd diving on the other side of the bay but it can be quite tricky (strong hardly manageable down & up currents) and this is where accidents happen on a regular basis (10 fatalies a year). Most of the time conditions prevent to dive this side leading to the bat cave on the north-east tip of the bay.

Last edited:
Which is exactly what should be AVOIDED and is written in bold in the Coral Triangle Center's Code of Conduct.

Molas don't like bubbles : the best way to disturb their cleaning habit and make them fly is to get under them. Period.

Unfortunately, only a few dive ops have bothered to work on this Code of Conduct with the CTC, fewer have read it and even fewer brief their guests accordingly ...

***Easy there Zivva...I didn't mean literally underneath the mola mola, I meant so that I could get a shot with him framed against the sky for better contrast, rather than against the blue/the sea floor. If I didn't show the mola mola the same respect i show all marine creatures, i wouldn't have likely been with him for 5 minutes, would I? Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions***

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom