O-ring experiment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After Brother Zung posted his findings in an earlier thread, I decided to experiment with a smaller size. The real i.d. of an o-ring is established after it's installed in the groove, so going slightly smaller seemed to be a more promising direction than going larger. I recently purchased a few 2.0mm x 1.0mm and I'll post the full results later as I have not installed the poppets in a regulator yet. So far here is what I've found:

When viewed with a 5X magnifying glass there is a very slight size difference.
Installed on a poppet I could not make out any differences visually.
Using DA Aquamaster's test here they feel the same as SP original equipment.​

Again, the true test will require installation in a regulator.

On a different note, I also decided to try 90 duro o-rings installed on an SGP hp spool. Of all the o-rings in a scuba system, the SPG spool seals appear to have the highest failure rate. 90 duro might be a better choice than the usual 70/75 due to the high pressure differential these seals operate under.

After installation it's impossible to tell the difference in the way an spg swivels; however installing them is another matter. I installed the 90 duro o-rings on two separate spools-see the picture below. Other than one spool being a T type and the other a straight type, note the difference in diameter the spool ends are. The nipple end of one spool is smaller than the diameter of the spool shaft, where the other spool had the same size nipple as the shaft (keep it clean guys.) It was next to impossible to install the harder duro o-ring on the spool with the larger nipple. I don't have the cool installation bullet sold by Scuba Tools, so that could make a difference. Using the common technique and language necessary to complete this task I damaged two seals prior to getting one installed. At 11 cents each one could go broke rather quickly with this endeavor. I haven't time and open water tested the newer seal yet, but I believe they'll hold up better than the softer seals.

Now don't all of you jump on me at once, but if any of you want to test a few of these, PM me with your snail mail address and I'll get some out to you. I would prefer to send them to those of you who will be doing a bit of diving soon and are willing to update this thread. Again, don't try to install these with on the large nipple spool.

Couv

Last edited:
Good thinking Bro, the 2 x 1mm are much easier to source: Viton/Nitrile: .12/.04 ea. at Mc Master, and 2.00(!!!)/.14 at The O-Ring Store.

That's a lot more reasonable than the price I paid, I think they came out to .84 each. As I was experimenting, I didn't want to buy a bunch of o-rings that would be of no value if my experiment failed. I'm loathe to throw away junk like that evidenced in my collection of -001s, -001 1/2, -002 which are left over from previous trials.

Did the install of the Orings you sent me today. Unfortunately, I have the spool with the larger nipple. After many unkind words and much time (I don't have the cool tool for install) I finally got them on. They worked without leaks. However, given the time required and difficulty, I will likely just order the entire spool with orings from:
HP Spools "Stems"
Yeah, more cost ($2.89 each spool), but less hassle and you are getting an entire new spool. Besides, Murphy's law is that the oring will fail (at least be noticed) on the dive which means changing out on a rocking boat. Switching spools is easier. I can't imagine switching out these orings on a rocking boat. I can change out a spool in a couple of minutes. This company uses viton Orings. Thanks anyway for letting me see how they would work for me.

What material are your O-rings made from? That will determine to a big extent how long they will last in a dynamic environment.

The tool in question is rather cheap and available from several sources and will go a long way to eliminate potty mouth o ring installs :)

The tool in question is cheap and available from several sources and will go a long way to eliminate potty mouth o ring installs :)
You do have a point. My initial response was immediately following installation:banghead:. Upon reflection, I may just get one of the tools. I still like the idea of having a new spool with o rings already installed for rocking boat senarios, but there are still times when using the tool would be easy. I see that there are several sources for this purpose out there. Are they all about the same as far as function goes or is there one that stands out?

I was able to get a duro 90 on my spool using a DIY tool I made. I used the plastic tube inside an old ball point pen. Just cut off a 4" piece and heat it in the middle with a cigar lighter while pulling on the ends to draw it to a tapered point in the middle. Cut it in the middle with scissors then heat the other end and push a tapered object in the end to flare it. I was able to get the "O" rings on fairly easily, but if I make another I'll try and find an object that will give a more gradual flare.

The o-rings I send Prof are Viton. Without question having a spool set up with the o-rings on it in your save-a-dive kit is the way to go. My experiment is to outfit the spools with 90 duro instead of the usual 75 duro hoping they will last longer. I am pretty will convinced not to try to install the harder o-rings on the spools with larger nipples.

Prof, how about a link showing the tools you mentioned?

Edit: @ Not Sure... I like your idea. How about some pictures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom