O-rings -- Universal or Proprietary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering if o-rings that are "off the shelf" from a plumbing supply center (or HomeDepot) are okay to use in my diver computer OR do I need to use ONLY the magically proprietary (and therefore more expensive) o-rings from the original manufacturer?

I'm trying to find replacement o-rings for my Uwatec Galileo Sol. There are two o-rings in the transmitter (one for the connection to the 1st stage, and one internally for the battery/guts housing), and one for the battery cap on the computer.

Thoughts???

Thanks,
Jeff

O-rings are available in various materials and sizes. You can measure the size pretty easily with some precision measuring tools. However, the material may be difficult to determine. Materials that look similar may not be identical. They may differ in hardness (durometer), for example. It's certainly possible that the manufacturer has the O-rings specially manufactured to their specifications, but I would doubt it. If it were me, I would use whatever appears to be identical and is easiest for me to obtain, so long as the price is reasonable. Keep in mind there are sources for O-rings other than Home Depot, which may have a limited selection.

Any o-ring will do, so long as it is the correct size, durometer, and material for your application.

Size is unknown, durometer is probably 70, and the material should be buna-n or viton.

Durometer and material is probably a bigger issue than the size
Id you put high durometer in your battery compartment it might leak. Higher durometer is better for HP connection like transmitter to 1st stage

Yes and No.... They make metric and standard o-rings and sometimes it looks like a o-ring but in fact it a square sided o-ring.. A hydraulic repair shops have a very large stock to pick from... But I'm making it bigger then it probably is...:wink: Find one that's close to what you take out and you'll be fine....

Jim...

Grainger sells them once you figure out the size/hardness needed. In packs of 10, 25 or 100, it's overkill but they're under $2 each. They have a store in York also. O-Rings - Supplies - Grainger Industrial Supply

I use the factory issue o-ring when I replace one on my computer, not on each battery change. For my regs, I use what I find cheap, it's only life support.

Bob
-------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

O
Wondering if o-rings that are "off the shelf" from a plumbing supply center (or HomeDepot) are okay to use in my diver computer OR do I need to use ONLY the magically proprietary (and therefore more expensive) o-rings from the original manufacturer?

I'm trying to find replacement o-rings for my Uwatec Galileo Sol. There are two o-rings in the transmitter (one for the connection to the 1st stage, and one internally for the battery/guts housing), and one for the battery cap on the computer.

Thoughts???

Thanks,
Jeff
I doubt any of the dive equipment manufacturers source custom made o rings. The quantity is just too small to offset the manufacturing set up cost for something totally custom.

That said, I would be surprised if you can source suitable o rings from a plumbing supply or home depot. O rings are a specialty product.

I use a local industrial supply service (able o rings) that only supply o rings and gaskets and sealants. They have the means to measure your current o ring and based upon the use, they can ensure you get the proper material and hardness.

And the rings are so ridiculously cheap that I end up buying several lifetime supplies each time I look for a different o ring. The rings for camera push buttons where about 2 cents each. So I bought 100 (well approx 100 since I think they weighed them as opposed to counting them).

Bigger o rings for some thing like my ancient 8 D cell flashlight were around 30 cents. The bigger they are the more they cost. I have yet to break the dollar price level for any 1 o ring.

There is plenty of folks around that only repair regs that should have what you need and in the correct compounds..

Thoughts???

Thanks,
Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom