o rings whats the best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can you use vitons even if you dont dive nitox? If so wouldnt it be smart and safer just to use them for everything?

I do, except for the few places where a very soft ring is needed (Plastic camera cases, etc.)

BTW you're breathing nitrox right now, just a 20.8% O2 mix. :wink:

FT

*Floater*:
I found a few sources, but I'm not sure if they are peroxide cured. I might order some soon from Dive-Rite: http://www.diveriteexpress.com/hardware/orings.shtml

I don't lube the static o-rings anymore, especially in regs, because I'm afraid the lubricant may very slightly contaminate the breathing gas especially when in contact with high O2 mixes.

Cristolube won't contaminate the breathing gas. I use it on almost all of my o-rings, including on the regs I use on my 100% bottles.

squidster:
can you use vitons even if you dont dive nitox? If so wouldnt it be smart and safer just to use them for everything?
In most situations, except where, as noted, a softer o-ring is needed, yes. BUT they're a LOT more expensive than regular o-rings (I've seen $6 viton orings vs. pennies for regular ones). I suspect that is the driving point behind this thread... alternatives to expensive viton o rings.

I just bought almost 400 viton o-rings of various sizes for $21, including shipping.

Dive-aholic:
I just bought almost 400 viton o-rings of various sizes for $21, including shipping.

Please PM me with the source (or post here), or if you want to sell some then let me know - in particular, I'm currently looking for o-rings for reg hoses.

It is common practice to put a christolube on the regulator, specially for a high O2 regulators. It is pricey stuff so that some technicians just uses the food graded lube instead. The christolube isn't flamable so that it is pretty much safe..

Based on my research and experiences (13 regs. DIY), the lube helps an O-ring life a lot. The manufactures' manuals clearly state the lube application.

IMHO, people is too much panic on Viton stuff. EPDM and a chritolube application is safe enough. Instead upgrade your health and dive insurance coverage...

Previously posted elsewhere------------

O-Rig Sizes And Uses

The Reef Scuba list has a couple of oopses part number wise, although what they call out is close to the correct size and may work fine. The most notable oops are the hose rings. I believe the DIN should take a metric series ring, but I don’t have the cross over # since I don’t use them. This is what I stock in my save a dive kit. The complete Parker O-ring part number is the size shown below plus a compound number to specify material. I tend to buy all them in Viton, but the Buna-N is a bit cheaper. Please remember that Viton simply don't go bad from age if kept in a sealed UV opaque container. Small prescription medicine bottles work well as do flip top canisters and zip lock bags if the zip locks are stored in a closet or other opaque container/box. Pricing for commercial rings quantities is such that you can often get 25 or 50 rings of each size for very nearly the bottom line price as 10. Talk to buddies and work up a list, then everyone can fill their kit as needed. Any O-ring dealer can cross reference a Parker size number and most have a compound cross over list as well.
Buna-N has a compound suffix of N674-70.
Brown Viton has a compound suffix of V884-75 for 75 Duro rings or V894-90 for 90 Duro rings. Use harder rings where gaps are big, like on tank yoke O-rings. An EPR or polyurethane ring seems to be good for tanks vales that seem to just eat rings. The suffix for EPR is E893-80. For the polyurethane ring (the “white” ones from Sherwood) P642-70. The following is the proper ring sizes and where I use them if it's a common part . Any ring that MAY see pure O2 above about 100 psi. needs to be Viton or other suitable material.

2-002 SPG gauge swivel spindle
2-003 SPG gauge swivel spindle
2-006 Various switch seals
2-007 Various switch seals
2-008 Various switch seals
2-010 Piston HP ring for SP MK V and clones and tank valve stem where used
2-011 Internals of MK V and second stages
2-012 Internals of MK V and second stages
2-013 Internals of MK V and second stages
2-014 Tank K-valve "skinny" ring, Valve handle spindle seal
2-015 Internals of MK V, clones and second stages
2-016 Internals of MK V, clones and second stages
2-017 Internals of MK V, clones and second stages
2-018 Internals of MK V, clones and second stages
2-019 Internals of MK V, clones and second stages
2-020 Internals of second stage and some later SP firsts
2-021 Internals of second stage and some later SP firsts
2-022 Internals of MK V and clones Main piston O-ring (major wear item!)
2-111 Tank K-valve "Fat" ring
2-214 3/4"NPSM tank valve seal
3-902 5/16" (not used in Scuba much, can be found on Pneumatic submersible tools)
3-903 3/8" hose port, Normal LP hose
3-904 7/16" hose port, Normal HP port
3-905 1/2" hose port. Oversize LP hose used by Dacor and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom