O2 Clean, VIP, and Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd:
Seems like I have seen prices ranging from $30 to $40 which included the fill(standard nitrox) after the cleaning.

I've paid $40.00 and $50.00 for O2 cleaning and this did not include a fill. Someone mentioned methods for O2 cleaning as a factor in cost. I don't know what method the different shops used, but since the tanks are only filled by the places that did the O2 cleaning, if its good enough for them, its good enough for me! :wink:

After much thought and lots of research, here is what I am doing.

For recreational backgas... I have purchased two Faber LP 95's with Thermo Pro/DIN valves. The tanks and valves are O2 clean for partial pressure NITROX fills. Price, approx $200 per tank new. The AL 80's were approximately $180 per tank new with the Thermo Pro/DIN valve and O2 clean, so for about $20 per tank I get a larger Steel tank, a better choice for backgas. I am 6' tall and 220lbs so the size and weight of the steel tank is not a problem, as a matter of fact I have rented these tanks before and find that my trim is better when compared to the AL 80.

For deco bottles... I will wait for now. It looks like when I do purchase deco bottles I will get an AL 40 for O2, and either an AL 50 if I find that a 80% mix is what I end up using more or an AL 63 if a 50% mix is a more common blend for my deco gas. I may end up getting both the 50 and the 63 or I may settle on one in preference to the other. When I do purchase deco bottles they will be dedicated to one mix and have permanent MOD markings and permanent stage bottle rigging. I have been diving with two deco bottles and doubles before so the size of the 40 and either the 50, or the 63 do not present a problem. I dive a hogarthian rig all of the time. As I said earlier this purchase will wait for now.

The Faber LP 95's could be doubled later but I am more inclined to wait until PST E-8 130's are readily available and prices level out; or perhaps consider some of the other tanks in a comperable size that are projected to be introduced soon by other manufacturers. In short it looks like there are soon to be more choices in the high pressure tank market so if I am patient I might end up with doubles that are as good or better than I could get now, for a better price.

Thanks,

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom