Oahu Trip Report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chummer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a week on Oahu. Wasnt my first choice of Hawiian Island destinations, but who can complain when you have a free time-share to stay in? (Until you find yourself sitting in traffic for the first time there.) I didnt go there to dive, but planned to dive while I was there.
Through various recommendations, I ended up diving with Ocean Concepts. They picked me up promptly in Waikiki and drove me to Waianae on the West side of the island (an hour+ drive).
After the necessary paperwork and a very good pre-dive talk in the shop about the boat, where we were to sit, who our divemaster was, and a few minutes on the importance of being ecologically responsible, we made our way to the boat. The dives were to be guided....we had about 4 divers for each divemaster. For some reason we only got this talk my first day with them; because there were new divers there my second day, I dont know why this wasnt done consistently (though we were given the seat assignments). I know the pre-arranged seating may sound strange, but they put you with who you came with and consider diving abilities as well to keep the groups compatible. They had your bc on your tank, and gear under the bench by the time you got to the boat, and were careful to explain the boat features etc before we left the dock.
An unexpected surprise was the huge cold cut sandwiches and fresh pineapple they made available on board.
Over my two days with them, I dove the Mahi Wreck, Makaha Caverns, Black Rock, and Kea'au Corners. Black Rock was my favorite, plus we had around 150ft viz for that dive. Arguably, these may not be the best sites that Oahu has to offer, but I enjoyed each of them. Water temp was a consistent 79. I was content in my 5 mil shorty.
I thought the hooka hanging overboard with several regs at safety stop depth was a nice touch.
The staff was professional and seemed to enjoy what they do. If you spend time comparing rates, you will find that a two tank day with them costs just a bit more than some other operators, but I felt as though it was worth it.
I spent time at Hanauma Bay...worth dealing with the crowds. Beautiful area with ok snorkeling. Swim about 75-100 yrds out in the middle to get away from the masses of people who are trying to snorkel for the first time. The viz clears up out there and the coral heads are more pronounced. I saw two turtles out there too...be sure to leave them alone, they are endangered. We were told that interfering with them can result in a $15,000 fine.
The hike up Diamond Head is a lot of fun, but go early to avoid the heat and more crowds.
The day spent at Pearl Harbor was unforgettable, but again, go early to avoid the overabundant humanity levels.
Thanks to Justleesa for all her helpful input before I went!
Greg

Hey Greg! Glad to hear you had a good time and that you liked Black Rock...I hope to get out that way again sometime.

Next time you come over don't forget to give me a hollar so we can go for lunch or something :wink:

I haven't done any dives recently with Ocean Concepts, but back when I used to dive with them fairly often, they were always good experiences, much as you described.

You got out to some of my favorite dive sites out West - and I'm still dying to get back out to the Mahi. It's been at least a couple years since I last dove it - we tried a several weeks ago and the current was RIPPING, so we headed elsewhere.

Chummer:
Just got back from a week on Oahu. Wasnt my first choice of Hawiian Island destinations, but who can complain when you have a free time-share to stay in? (Until you find yourself sitting in traffic for the first time there.)

Yes, traffic here sucks. You don't think of Hawaii as a crowded paradise, but around Waikiki area it is. Our first trip into Waikiki was not amusing. Felt like we were back in D.C. traffic. One-way streets and no signs to tell you where to go. I still hate driving there, but get away from there and it is much nicer. Glad you had a good time. I love diving the west side. Makaha Caverns is one of my favorite dives on the island.

Melissa

Originally Posted by justleesa
Next time you come over don't forget to give me a hollar so we can go for lunch or something

Thanks for the invite Lisa. I will be sure and contact you if I ever make it out there again!

Originally Posted by ch0ppersrule
Yes, traffic here sucks. You don't think of Hawaii as a crowded paradise, but around Waikiki area it is. Our first trip into Waikiki was not amusing. Felt like we were back in D.C. traffic. One-way streets and no signs to tell you where to go. I still hate driving there, but get away from there and it is much nicer. Glad you had a good time. I love diving the west side. Makaha Caverns is one of my favorite dives on the island.

Yes, being away from the city is a must if you are visiting (or a resident I would imagine). I really enjoyed getting out in the rental car and seeing the east side and the ride along the coast up to the Polynesian Cultural Center was very enjoyable.

Have any of you guys ever climbed the Haiku Stairs aka The Stairway to Heaven? I read about it, but didnt have the time or the right people with me to do that...it sounds like a great experience if you are physically ready for it.

I think that right now the access to the stairway is closed as it goes thru private property. I have friends that did it before it closed and they said it was great...they are very, very fit. I would have an asthma attack going up all those stairs! :wink:

Chummer:
Have any of you guys ever climbed the Haiku Stairs aka The Stairway to Heaven? I read about it, but didnt have the time or the right people with me to do that...it sounds like a great experience if you are physically ready for it.

I did it back in high school with a bunch of friends when it was still open.

The stairway was literally one person wide, so if anyone wanted to pass you or was coming the opposite way, someone had to climb over the handrail and hang to the side of it to let them pass. It got very interesting in those situations where the areas where the stairway went directly up (like a ladder) - you either found a better area to pass, or you were kind of dangling off the side of the mountain.

I've read articles where they talk about a gradual 30 degree incline - in some areas, as mentioned above, it's almost straight up and down.

We climbed up to the top where they chained it off and the stairs started going across the mountain ridgeline - the views there were incredible.

Coming down my legs were like noodles - near the end I was nearly running down the stairs because I could not really control my speed. I was much younger and fitter then. :wink:

Very cool chepar, thanks for sharing!
Im glad I didnt go thru the trouble of getting to it only to find that it was closed.
Too bad tho, sounds like it would have been great.

chepar:
I did it back in high school with a bunch of friends when it was still open.

The stairway was literally one person wide, so if anyone wanted to pass you or was coming the opposite way, someone had to climb over the handrail and hang to the side of it to let them pass. It got very interesting in those situations where the areas where the stairway went directly up (like a ladder) - you either found a better area to pass, or you were kind of dangling off the side of the mountain.

I've read articles where they talk about a gradual 30 degree incline - in some areas, as mentioned above, it's almost straight up and down.

We climbed up to the top where they chained it off and the stairs started going across the mountain ridgeline - the views there were incredible.

Coming down my legs were like noodles - near the end I was nearly running down the stairs because I could not really control my speed. I was much younger and fitter then. :wink:

Ok, so now who's the billygoat? :wink: (Well, there *was* that one time on the Waianae-side of the summit Mt. Kaala when I was buttering off a boulder that I was crabbing around and let go my walking stick -- dang, the way that thing just whistled out of sight.....)

Chummer, you can get a glimpse of the Stairway about a half-mile after exiting the Kaneohe-bound H-3 tunnel. It follows the spine of a ridge and you should be able to see the rails and with a bit of luck, a few masochists on it.

bluemagoo:
Ok, so now who's the billygoat? :wink:

Well, like I said, I was much younger and fitter then.

Nowdays, if anyone asked me to do that again, I'd give them the "you're certifiably crazy" look, go sit back down on the couch and continue watching me some quality tv. :D

Back
Top Bottom