OC, NJ Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Taking the wife and kids to OC, NJ this weekend... always wondering if it's a good idea to take my gear and try to catch dinner.

I've never been to OC, NJ before, I have no idea about regulations, parking, anything. Just looking for any ideas anyone might have. Maybe OC isn't the place to go and I should just forget it? Hard to be that close to the ocean and not get in and do something!

Thanks!

Wanted to add I will reach out to Atlantic Divers in Cape May, NJ to see what they say.

Can't comment on the fishing, but if you are coming across the Delaware Memorial bridge (instead of the CM-Lewis ferry) I'd recommend cutting off of Rt 40 just past Buena/Landisville onto Tuckahoe Road and working your way down to the mid-island entrance (34th st.)

This is a great farmstand on Tuckahoe Rd with good produce and great baked goods (pies):

Along the way to the mid-island bridge there is a big Shop Rite in Marmora, right before you head on-island. Way better selection and less packed than the on-island Acme at 34th St if you need supplies:
On Island there are a couple Mallon's (14th & Bay, and 55th & Central) for Sticky Buns:

Also a Fractured Prune Donut shop (Asbury between 12th & 13th) if you want some crazy stuff:

If you are staying the week and looking to go out and don't mind a drive for good food (most is meh, pricey, and a long wait), about the only place I can solidly recommend from experience is Princeton Grill down in Avalon:

A big family (like an army) runs on its stomach. :wink: And laying on the beach is hard work!

Oh yea, and remember to buy any booze you want for home consumption before you go on-island. OC NJ is still a dry town for retail.

Can't comment on the fishing, but if you are coming across the Delaware Memorial bridge (instead of the CM-Lewis ferry) I'd recommend cutting off of Rt 40 just past Buena/Landisville onto Tuckahoe Road and working your way down to the mid-island entrance (34th st.)

This is a great farmstand on Tuckahoe Rd with good produce and great baked goods (pies):

Along the way to the mid-island bridge there is a big Shop Rite in Marmora, right before you head on-island. Way better selection and less packed than the on-island Acme at 34th St if you need supplies:
On Island there are a couple Mallon's (14th & Bay, and 55th & Central) for Sticky Buns:

Also a Fractured Prune Donut shop (Asbury between 12th & 13th) if you want some crazy stuff:

If you are staying the week and looking to go out and don't mind a drive for good food (most is meh, pricey, and a long wait), about the only place I can solidly recommend from experience is Princeton Grill down in Avalon:

Wow, that is a lot more info than I would have ever thought to ask.. thanks!

I actually just learned that this upcoming weekend we're going to Rehoboth Beach DE, and in a few weeks is OC, NJ.. so I have time to figure some things out.

The other beach is like an old hat, we've been there plenty and afaik no diving, but OC I would think has some dinner somewhere I can catch.

Nobody hunts around OC? Or no one wants to enlighten the green horn, lol.

I've been working too much, still need to call Atlantic Divers to see if they have any hints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom